Definitions for ORS 696.505 to 696.590
(1) "Collection escrow" means an escrow in which the escrow agent:
(A) Installment payments;
(B) Instruments evidencing or securing an obligation; or
(C) Instruments discharging the security interest; and
(b) Disburses the payments or delivers the instruments upon specified conditions pursuant to the written instructions of an obligor and obligee.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Real Estate Commissioner.
(3) "Compensation" means any fee, commission, salary, money or valuable consideration for services rendered or to be rendered as well as the promise thereof and whether contingent or otherwise.
(4) "Escrow" means any transaction wherein any written instrument, money, evidence of title to real or personal property or other thing of value is delivered, for the purpose of paying an obligation or effecting the sale, transfer, encumbrance or lease of real or personal property, to a person not otherwise having any right, title or interest therein, to be held by that person as a neutral third party until the happening of a specified event or the performance of a prescribed condition, when it is then to be delivered by the neutral third party to a grantee, grantor, promisee, promisor, obligee, obligor, bailee, bailor or any agent or employee of any of them pursuant to the written instructions of the principals to the transaction.
(5) "Escrow agent" means any person who engages in the business of receiving escrows for deposit or delivery and who receives or is promised any fee, commission, salary or other valuable consideration, whether contingent or otherwise, for or in anticipation of performance.
(6) "Principal" means:
(a) The buyer and seller, lessor and lessee and the exchanging parties in an escrow transaction involving the sale, lease, lease-option or exchange of real property or personal property; and
(b) The borrower in an escrow transaction involving the refinancing of real or personal property, including but not limited to the refinancing of an obligation secured by a land sale contract requiring a deed to be delivered as part of such refinancing.
(7) "Real estate closing escrow" means an escrow where the escrow fee is paid in whole or in part by the principals to a real estate transaction and wherein the unpaid purchase price is delivered to an escrow agent for disbursal pursuant to the written instructions of the principals to the transaction simultaneously on the transfer of specified title to the real property.
(8) "Subservicer" means an escrow agent, a financial institution or a trust company, as those terms are defined in ORS 706.008 (Additional definitions for Bank Act), or a collection agency registered under ORS 697.015 (Registration required to operate as collection agency) when providing, pursuant to written instructions, a portion of the escrow services for an escrow to an escrow agent, or a person in the business of receiving escrows under the laws of another state, that would otherwise provide the escrow services directly to the principals. [1963 c.440 §1; 1977 c.351 §4; 1981 c.617 §20; 1991 c.874 §1; 1993 c.18 §150; 2003 c.427 §4; 2005 c.116 §23; 2007 c.337 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.