Practice of respiratory care by unlicensed practitioner prohibited
- • exceptions
- • practice requirements
(1) No person shall practice respiratory care or claim to be a respiratory care practitioner unless the person is licensed under ORS 688.800 (Definitions for ORS 688.800 to 688.840) to 688.840 (Immunity from civil liability).
(2) Nothing in ORS 688.800 (Definitions for ORS 688.800 to 688.840) to 688.840 (Immunity from civil liability) is intended to limit, preclude or otherwise interfere with the practices of other persons and health providers licensed by appropriate agencies of this state.
(a) The practice of respiratory care by students enrolled in a respiratory care education program approved by the American Medical Association in collaboration with the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Therapy Education or their successors or equivalent organizations, as approved by the board.
(b) Self-care by a patient, or gratuitous care by a friend or family member who does not claim to be a respiratory care practitioner.
(c) Respiratory care services rendered in the course of an emergency.
(4) Persons in the military services or working in federal facilities are exempt from the provisions of ORS 688.800 (Definitions for ORS 688.800 to 688.840) to 688.840 (Immunity from civil liability) when functioning in the course of assigned duties.
(5) Nothing in ORS 688.800 (Definitions for ORS 688.800 to 688.840) to 688.840 (Immunity from civil liability) is intended to permit the practice of medicine by a person licensed to practice respiratory care unless the person is also licensed to practice medicine.
(6) The practice of respiratory care may be performed in any clinic, hospital, skilled nursing facility, private dwelling or other place considered appropriate or necessary by the Respiratory Therapist Licensing Board in accordance with the prescription or verbal order of a physician and shall be performed under a qualified medical director. [1997 c.792 §7]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information