(1) "Board" means the Oregon Board of Dentistry.
(2) "Dental assistant" means a person who, under the supervision of a dentist, renders assistance to a dentist, dental hygienist, dental technician or another dental assistant or renders assistance under the supervision of a dental hygienist providing dental hygiene.
(3) "Dental hygiene" means that portion of dentistry that includes the rendering of educational, preventive and therapeutic dental services and diagnosis and treatment planning for such services. "Dental hygiene" includes, but is not limited to, scaling, root planing, curettage, the application of sealants and fluoride and any related intraoral or extraoral procedure required in the performance of such services.
(4) "Dental hygienist" means a person who, under the supervision of a dentist, practices dental hygiene.
(5) "Dental technician" means that person who, at the authorization of a dentist, makes, provides, repairs or alters oral prosthetic appliances and other artificial materials and devices which are returned to a dentist and inserted into the human oral cavity or which come in contact with its adjacent structures and tissues.
(6) "Dentist" means a person who may perform any intraoral or extraoral procedure required in the practice of dentistry.
(7) "Dentistry" means the healing art which is concerned with the examination, diagnosis, treatment planning, treatment, care and prevention of conditions within the human oral cavity and maxillofacial region and conditions of adjacent or related tissues and structures. The practice of dentistry includes but is not limited to the cutting, altering, repairing, removing, replacing or repositioning of hard or soft tissues and other acts or procedures as determined by the board and included in the curricula of dental schools accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, post-graduate training programs or continuing education courses.
(8) "Direct supervision" means supervision requiring that a dentist diagnose the condition to be treated, that a dentist authorize the procedure to be performed, and that a dentist remain in the dental treatment room while the procedures are performed.
(9) "General supervision" means supervision requiring that a dentist authorize the procedures, but not requiring that a dentist be present when the authorized procedures are performed. The authorized procedures may also be performed at a place other than the usual place of practice of the dentist.
(10) "Indirect supervision" means supervision requiring that a dentist authorize the procedures and that a dentist be on the premises while the procedures are performed.
(11) "Limited access permit dental hygienist" means a dental hygienist who renders dental hygiene services in accordance with ORS 680.205 (Services rendered under permit) as authorized by a limited access permit issued by the board pursuant to ORS 680.200 (Issuing permit).
(12) "State" means any state or territory of the United States and the District of Columbia. [Amended by 1983 c.169 §1; 1997 c.251 §4; 1999 c.188 §1; 2003 c.83 §1; 2005 c.52 §2; 2007 c.379 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.