Physicians and podiatric physicians and surgeons dispensing prescription drugs to do so personally
- • records
- • required labeling information
(1) Prescription drugs dispensed by a physician or podiatric physician and surgeon shall be personally dispensed by the physician or podiatric physician and surgeon. Nonjudgmental dispensing functions may be delegated to staff assistants when the accuracy and completeness of the prescription is verified by the physician or podiatric physician and surgeon.
(2) The dispensing physician shall maintain records of receipt and distribution of prescription drugs. These records shall be readily accessible and subject to inspection by the Oregon Medical Board.
(3) The dispensing physician shall label prescription drugs with the following information:
(a) Name of patient;
(b) The name and address of the dispensing physician;
(c) Date of dispensing;
(d) The name of the drug but if the dispensed drug does not have a brand name, the prescription label shall indicate the generic name of the drug dispensed along with the name of the drug distributor or manufacturer, its quantity per unit and the directions for its use stated in the prescription. However, if the drug is a compound, the quantity per unit need not be stated;
(e) Cautionary statements, if any, as required by law; and
(f) When applicable and as determined by the State Board of Pharmacy, an expiration date after which the patient should not use the drug.
(4) Prescription drugs shall be dispensed in containers complying with the federal Poison Prevention Packaging Act unless the patient requests a noncomplying container. [1985 c.322 §11; 2005 c.760 §2]
Note: 677.089 (Physicians and podiatric physicians and surgeons dispensing prescription drugs to do so personally) was added to and made a part of ORS chapter 677 by legislative action but was not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information