Tort liability of committees, officers, employees and agents
- • limitations
- • punitive damages excluded
(1) In any action based on tort, as defined in ORS 30.260 (Definitions for ORS 30.260 to 30.300), the liability of any local joint committee formed under ORS 660.135 (Local joint committees), trade committee for apprenticeship and training formed under ORS 660.145 (Trade apprenticeship and training committees) or state joint committee formed under ORS 660.155 (State joint committees), and the liability of its officers, employees and agents acting within the scope of their employment or duties, shall not exceed:
(a) $50,000 to any claimant for any number of claims for damage to or destruction of property, including consequential damages, arising out of a single accident or occurrence.
(b) $100,000 to any claimant as general and special damages for all other claims arising out of a single accident or occurrence unless those damages exceed $100,000, in which case the claimant may recover additional special damages, but in no event shall the total award of special damages exceed $100,000.
(c) $500,000 for any number of claims arising out of a single accident or occurrence.
(2) No award for damages on any claim subject to this section shall include punitive damages. The limitation imposed by this section on individual claimants includes damages claimed for loss of services or loss of support arising out of the same tort, as defined in ORS 30.260 (Definitions for ORS 30.260 to 30.300).
(3) In any action subject to this section in which the amount awarded to or settled upon multiple claimants exceeds $500,000, any party may apply to any circuit court to apportion to each claimant the proper share of the total amount limited by subsection (1) of this section. The share apportioned each claimant shall be in the proportion that the ratio of the award or settlement made to the claimant bears to the aggregate awards and settlements for all claims arising out of the occurrence.
(4) The liability of a committee described in subsection (1) of this section and one or more of its officers, employees or agents, or two or more officers, employees or agents of the committee, on claims arising out of a single accident or occurrence, shall not exceed in the aggregate the amounts limited by subsection (1) of this section. [1999 c.642 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information