As used in this chapter:
(1) "Bureau" means the Bureau of Labor and Industries.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries.
(3) "Employee" does not include any individual employed by the individual’s parents, spouse or child or in the domestic service of any person.
(4) "Employer" means any person who in this state, directly or through an agent, engages or uses the personal service of one or more employees, reserving the right to control the means by which such service is or will be performed.
(5) "Employment agency" includes any person undertaking to procure employees or opportunities to work.
(6)(a) "Familial status" means the relationship between one or more individuals who have not attained 18 years of age and who are domiciled with:
(A) A parent or another person having legal custody of the individual; or
(B) The designee of the parent or other person having such custody, with the written permission of the parent or other person.
(b) "Familial status" includes any individual, regardless of age or domicile, who is pregnant or is in the process of securing legal custody of an individual who has not attained 18 years of age.
(7) "Labor organization" includes any organization which is constituted for the purpose, in whole or in part, of collective bargaining or in dealing with employers concerning grievances, terms or conditions of employment or of other mutual aid or protection in connection with employees.
(8) "National origin" includes ancestry.
(9) "Person" includes one or more individuals, partnerships, associations, labor organizations, limited liability companies, joint stock companies, corporations, legal representatives, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy or receivers. "Person" also includes a public body as defined in ORS 30.260 (Definitions for ORS 30.260 to 30.300).
(10) "Respondent" means any person against whom a complaint or charge of an unlawful practice is filed with the commissioner or whose name has been added to such complaint or charge pursuant to ORS 659A.835 (Investigation).
(11) "Unlawful employment practice" means a practice specifically denominated as an unlawful employment practice in this chapter. "Unlawful employment practice" includes a practice that is specifically denominated in another statute of this state as an unlawful employment practice and that is specifically made subject to enforcement under this chapter.
(12) "Unlawful practice" means any unlawful employment practice or any other practice specifically denominated as an unlawful practice in this chapter. "Unlawful practice" includes a practice that is specifically denominated in another statute of this state as an unlawful practice and that is specifically made subject to enforcement under this chapter, or a practice that violates a rule adopted by the commissioner for the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter. [2001 c.621 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.