Definitions for ORS 657A.030 and 657A.250 to 657A.450
As used in ORS 657A.030 (Criminal History Registry) and 657A.250 (Definitions for ORS 657A.030 and 657A.250 to 657A.450) to 657A.450 (Assistance to staff of facility), unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Babysitter" means a person who goes into the home of a child to give care during the temporary absence of the parent or legal guardian or custodian.
(2) "Certification" means the certification that is issued under ORS 657A.280 (When certification required) by the Child Care Division to a family child care home, child care center or other child care facility.
(3) "Child" means a child under 13 years of age or a child under 18 years of age who has special needs or disabilities and requires a level of care that is above normal for the child’s age.
(4) Subject to ORS 657A.440 (Application of zoning ordinances to registered or certified family child care homes), "child care" means the care, supervision and guidance on a regular basis of a child, unaccompanied by a parent, guardian or custodian, provided to a child during a part of the 24 hours of the day, in a place other than the child’s home, with or without compensation. "Child care" does not include care provided:
(a) In the home of the child;
(b) By the child’s parent, guardian, or person acting in loco parentis;
(c) By a person related to the child by blood or marriage within the fourth degree as determined by civil law;
(d) On an occasional basis by a person not ordinarily engaged in providing child care;
(e) By providers of medical services;
(f) By a babysitter;
(g) By a person who cares for children from only one family other than the person’s own family;
(h) By a person who cares for no more than three children other than the person’s own children; or
(i) By a person who is a member of the child’s extended family, as determined by the division on a case-by-case basis.
(5) "Child care facility" means any facility that provides child care to children, including a day nursery, nursery school, child care center, certified or registered family child care home or similar unit operating under any name, but not including any:
(a) Facility providing care that is primarily educational, unless provided to a preschool child for more than four hours a day.
(b) Facility providing care that is primarily supervised training in a specific subject, including but not limited to dancing, drama, music or religion.
(c) Facility providing care that is primarily an incident of group athletic or social activities sponsored by or under the supervision of an organized club or hobby group.
(d) Facility operated by:
(A) A school district as defined in ORS 332.002 (Definitions);
(B) A political subdivision of this state; or
(C) A governmental agency.
(g) Facility operated as a parent cooperative for no more than four hours a day.
(h) Facility providing care while the child’s parent remains on the premises and is engaged in an activity offered by the facility or in other nonwork activity.
(6) "Division" means the Child Care Division of the Employment Department.
(7) "Family" has the meaning given that term in ORS 329.145 (Definitions for ORS 329.150 and 329.155).
(8) "Occasional" means that care is provided for no more than 70 days in any calendar year.
(9) "Parent cooperative" means a child care program in which:
(a) Care is provided by parents on a rotating basis;
(b) Membership in the cooperative includes parents;
(c) There are written policies and procedures; and
(d) A board of directors that includes parents of the children cared for by the cooperative controls the policies and procedures of the program.
(10) "Registration" means the registration that is issued under ORS 657A.330 (Registration requirements) by the Child Care Division to a family child care home where care is provided in the family living quarters of the provider’s home.
(11) "School age" means of an age eligible to be enrolled in the first grade or above and, during the months of summer vacation from school, means of an age eligible to be enrolled in first grade or above in the next school year. [Formerly 418.805; 1995 c.278 §8; 1997 c.431 §7; 1997 c.753 §4; 1999 c.743 §1; 2003 c.293 §8; 2003 c.366 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information