Occupational safety and health activities
- • voluntary compliance
- • rules
- • consultative services
In order to carry out the purposes of ORS 654.001 (Short title) to 654.295 (Application of Oregon Safe Employment Act), 654.412 (Definitions for ORS 654.412 to 654.423) to 654.423 (Use of physical force by home health care employee in self-defense against assault) and 654.750 (Definitions for ORS 654.750 to 654.780) to 654.780 (Providing basic information to employees) and encourage voluntary compliance with occupational safety and health laws, regulations and standards and to promote more effective workplace health and safety programs, the Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services shall:
(1) Develop greater knowledge and interest in the causes and prevention of industrial accidents, occupational diseases and related subjects through:
(a) Research, conferences, lectures and the use of public communications media;
(b) The collection and dissemination of accident statistics; and
(c) The publication and distribution of training and accident prevention materials, including audio and visual aids.
(2) Appoint advisers who shall, without compensation, assist the director in establishing standards of safety and health. The director may adopt and incorporate in its regulations, rules and standards such safety and health recommendations as it may receive from such advisers.
(3) Provide consultative services for employers on safety and health matters and prescribe procedures which will permit any employer to request a special inspection or investigation, focused on specific problems or hazards in the place of employment of the employer or to request assistance in developing a plan to correct such problems or hazards, which will not directly result in a citation and civil penalty.
(4) Place emphasis, in the research, education and consultation program, on development of a model for providing services to groups of small employers in particular industries and their employees.
(5) Separately administer the voluntary compliance and research, education and consultation activities described in this section and the enforcement activities described in ORS 654.025 (Jurisdiction and supervision of Workers' Compensation Board, director and other state agencies over employment and places of employment) to 654.086 (Civil penalty for violations). [Amended by 1965 c.285 §69h; 1973 c.833 §22; 1987 c.884 §57; 1997 c.249 §198]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information