Authority to indemnify director
- • report to members
(1) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, a cooperative may indemnify an individual made a party to a proceeding because the individual is or was a director against liability incurred in the proceeding if:
(a) The conduct of the individual was in good faith;
(b) The individual reasonably believed that the individual’s conduct was in the best interests of the cooperative, or at least not opposed to its best interests; and
(c) In the case of any criminal proceeding, the individual had no reasonable cause to believe the individual’s conduct was unlawful.
(2) A director’s conduct with respect to an employee benefit plan for a purpose the director reasonably believed to be in the interests of the participants in and beneficiaries of the plan is conduct that satisfies the requirement of subsection (1)(b) of this section.
(3) The termination of a proceeding by judgment, order, settlement or conviction or upon a plea of nolo contendere or its equivalent is not, of itself, determinative that the director did not meet the standard of conduct described in this section.
(4) A cooperative may not indemnify a director under this section:
(a) In connection with a proceeding by or in the right of the cooperative in which the director was adjudged liable to the cooperative; or
(b) In connection with any other proceeding charging improper personal benefit to the director in which the director was adjudged liable on the basis that personal benefit was improperly received by the director.
(5) Indemnification permitted under this section in connection with a proceeding by or in the right of the cooperative is limited to reasonable expenses incurred in connection with the proceeding.
(6) If a cooperative indemnifies or advances expenses to a director under this section or ORS 62.466 (Mandatory indemnification of director), 62.468 (Advance for expenses) or 62.472 (Court-ordered indemnification) in connection with a proceeding by or in the right of the cooperative, the cooperative shall report the indemnification or advance in writing to the members with or before the notice of the next membership meeting. [1995 c.195 §16]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.