As used in this chapter:
(1) "Custom processing establishment" means a stationary establishment wherein slaughtered meat animals or meat, caused to be delivered by the owners thereof, are prepared for compensation, payment or remuneration of any kind, and are thereafter returned to the owner thereof or to the order of the owner.
(2) "Custom slaughtering establishment" means a mobile or stationary establishment wherein meat animals, caused to be delivered by the owners thereof, are slaughtered for compensation, payment or remuneration of any kind, and are thereafter returned to the owner thereof or to the order of the owner.
(3) "Department" means the State Department of Agriculture.
(4) "Equipment" means all machinery, fixtures, containers, vessels, tools, implements and apparatus used in and about an establishment.
(5) "Establishment" means:
(a) Any building, vehicle or structure in which meat animals are slaughtered for consumption or meat products are prepared, sold, offered or held for sale.
(b) The ground upon which such place or business is operated or used and so much ground adjacent thereto as is also used in carrying on the business of the establishment. The department may prescribe such additional area or places which, although they may not be contiguous or adjacent to the above area or establishment, may be included therein.
(6) "Meat animal" means any vertebrate animal, except fish and aquatic mammals, not otherwise prohibited by law for sale for human consumption.
(7) "Meat or meat product" means any edible muscle, except any muscle found in the lips, snout or ears, of meat animals, which is skeletal or found in the tongue, diaphragm, heart or esophagus, with or without any accompanying and overlying fat, and any portion of bone, skin, sinew, nerve or blood vessels normally accompanying the muscle tissue and not separated from it in the process of dressing or as otherwise prescribed by the department.
(8) "Meat seller establishment" means an establishment wherein meat products are sold, offered or held for sale, but which are not prepared other than to be ground, seasoned, salted, frozen, boned, cut up, wrapped or packed.
(9) "Nonslaughtering processing establishment" means any building, structure or vehicle wherein the activities of a slaughterhouse, custom slaughtering establishment or custom processing establishment or of an animal food slaughtering establishment or animal food processing establishment under ORS chapter 619 are not performed, but wherein meat products are prepared.
(10) "Poultry" means chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys and all other domesticated fowls or birds.
(11) "Prepared" means ground, seasoned, canned, cooked, salted, frozen, smoked, cured, pickled, packed, boned, dried, cut up, wrapped or otherwise manufactured or processed.
(12) "Slaughterhouse" means an establishment wherein meat animals are slaughtered.
(13) "Unwholesome" means all meats or meat products that are diseased, contaminated, including drug or chemical residue, putrid, unsound, unhealthful or unfit for food. [Amended by 1953 c.692 §6; 1955 c.724 §1; 1959 c.239 §1; 1961 c.164 §1; 1969 c.565 §1; 1973 c.175 §3; 1975 c.304 §1; 1993 c.162 §1; 1995 c.79 §320; 2003 c.14 §360]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information