Maximum rate of tax levy
- • procedure to change rate
(1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, a district shall not levy an ad valorem tax in any one year in excess of the maximum rate of levy authorized, which shall be stated in the petition for creation of the district, unless a change in the maximum rate is first approved by the electors. The rate of levy shall be stated in dollars and cents per thousand dollars of assessed value.
(2) A maximum rate of levy fixed upon creation of the district may be increased or decreased by a majority of those voting on a proposed change at an election called for that purpose. An election on the question of a change shall be called by the district board upon a petition therefor signed by not less than 30 landowners. The question may be submitted to the electors on the motion of the board.
(3) A maximum rate of levy fixed as provided by this section is in addition to and not in lieu of any other tax limit provided by law. However, all other tax limits are subordinate to the maximum rate fixed as provided by this section. Notwithstanding any other law, the district board shall not in any one year levy an ad valorem tax in excess of the rate, except when the tax is levied under ORS 552.623 (Ad valorem tax levy, collection, enforcement) (2) to pay principal and interest on district bonds outstanding.
(4) A certified copy of the district board order declaring the results of an election approving a change in the maximum rate of levy under this section shall be filed for record. [1969 c.606 §44]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.