Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team
- • duties
- • agency response to science team recommendations
(1) There is created an Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team consisting of up to seven scientists with recognized expertise in fisheries, artificial propagation, stream ecology, forestry, range, watershed and agricultural management. The Governor, the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall jointly appoint the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team. The decision to appoint a member of the team shall be a unanimous decision by the appointing authorities. The members of the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team shall serve for four years and may be reappointed for a subsequent term. The team shall be governed by generally accepted guidelines and practices governing the activities of independent science boards such as the National Academy of Sciences.
(2) The Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team shall:
(a) Review implementation of the Oregon Plan and other programs for achieving healthy streams as described in ORS 541.405 (Oregon Plan described).
(b) Prepare and submit to the Governor, the Legislative Assembly and the public an annual report on the implementation of the Oregon Plan, including any recommendations for changes or adjustments to the initiative.
(c) Serve as an independent scientific peer review panel to the state agencies responsible for developing and implementing the Oregon Plan and other salmon or stream enhancement programs throughout this state.
(d) Report regularly to the appropriate legislative committee concerning the duties described under this subsection and other requests by the committee.
(3) If the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team submits suggestions to an agency responsible for implementing a portion of the Oregon Plan, the agency shall respond in writing to the team, explaining how the agency intends to implement the suggestion or why the agency does not implement the suggestion. The team shall include any agency responses in its report under subsection (2)(b) of this section.
(4) Members of the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team shall be compensated for their services and are eligible for reimbursement of travel and other reasonable expenses in accordance with ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions).
(5) Compensation for members of the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team shall be determined by the appointing authorities.
(6) The office of the Governor shall provide administrative support and services to the Independent Multidisciplinary Science Team. [1997 c.7 §5; 1999 c.270 §7; 1999 c.1026 §22; 2007 c.354 §22]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information