Commission management authority for threatened or endangered species
- • rules
In carrying out the provisions of the wildlife laws with regard to the management of wildlife that is a threatened species or an endangered species, the State Fish and Wildlife Commission:
(1) Shall conduct investigations of wildlife species native to this state and shall determine whether any such species is a threatened species or an endangered species.
(2) By rule, shall establish and publish, and from time to time may revise, a list of wildlife species that are threatened species or endangered species. Listed threatened species or endangered species shall be protected as provided in ORS 496.182 (Protection and conservation programs).
(3) Shall work cooperatively with state agencies that have land management authority or regulatory authority to determine their roles within their statutory obligations in the conservation of endangered species, as described in ORS 496.182 (Protection and conservation programs) (8).
(4) By rule, shall establish a system of permits for scientific taking of threatened species and endangered species and shall establish a system of state permits for incidental taking of state-designated threatened species and endangered species not listed by the federal government under such terms and conditions as the commission determines will minimize the impact on the species taken. An incidental taking permit or statement issued by a federal agency for a species listed under the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-205, 16 U.S.C. 1531), as amended, shall be recognized by the state as a waiver of any state protection measures or requirements otherwise applicable to the actions allowed under the federal permit.
(5) Shall cooperate with the State Department of Agriculture in carrying out the provisions of ORS 564.105 (Responsibility to protect and conserve native plants).
(6) Shall adopt administrative rules to carry out the provisions of ORS 496.171 (Definitions for ORS 496.171 to 496.182) to 496.182 (Protection and conservation programs) and 498.026 (Transaction in threatened or endangered wildlife species prohibited). [1987 c.686 §3; 1995 c.590 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information