Formation of district with tax zones
- • contents of formation petition and order creating district
- • determination of tax levy in each zone
- • boundary changes
(1) When formation of a district is proposed after October 15, 1983, the petition or order for formation may include, in addition to other information required under ORS 198.750 (Content of petition proposing formation or change of organization) or 198.835 (Order for formation of district in single county):
(a) A statement that the district shall be divided into a specified number of zones for the purpose of imposing and levying ad valorem taxes at different rates in each zone based upon differences in services provided by the district in each zone.
(b) The boundaries of the proposed zones.
(2) If an election on formation of the district is held, the county board shall order the questions of whether or not to form the district and, if the district is formed, whether or not to divide it into zones to be submitted to the voters as separate questions to be voted upon separately.
(3) After an election on formation is held, if both the formation of the district and the division of the district into zones are approved by the voters, the order issued under ORS 198.820 (Order by county board) (3) creating the district shall declare that the district contains zones with the boundaries specified in the petition or order for formation. If only formation of the district is approved by the voters, the order creating the district shall be issued as provided in ORS 198.820 (Order by county board).
(4) If the district is formed without an election, the order issued under ORS 198.820 (Order by county board) (3) creating the district shall declare that the district contains zones with the boundaries specified in the petition or order for formation.
(5) When a district containing zones is formed under this section, the first board of directors of the district, prior to the levy of any ad valorem taxes by the district, shall provide notice of a public hearing and conduct the hearing as provided in ORS 478.480 (Formation of tax zones) (2) and 478.485 (Notice of public hearing). After the public hearing required under this section, the board shall enter an order in its journal stating the percentage of the total amount of ad valorem taxes of the district that will be collected in each zone. The board may then determine, make and declare the ad valorem tax levy for each zone.
(6) The boundaries of the zones and the percentages of taxes collected in each zone that are established for a district under this section shall be effective until the regular district election in the first odd-numbered year following the year in which the district is formed. At that regular district election, a proposal for changing the boundaries of the zones may be submitted to the voters of the district as provided in ORS 478.480 (Formation of tax zones) (2), 478.485 (Notice of public hearing) and 478.490 (Election on question of dividing district into tax zones). If no proposal for a boundary change is submitted, the boundaries of the zones established upon formation of the district shall be retained until notice of a change is given to, and approved by, the voters of the district as provided in ORS 478.480 (Formation of tax zones) (2), 478.485 (Notice of public hearing) and 478.490 (Election on question of dividing district into tax zones). [1983 c.569 §8]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.