Prohibition against distributing or offering certain cigarettes
- • improper packaging markings
- • seizure and forfeiture
- • interagency agreements
- • inspections
- • rules
(1) A person may not distribute or offer to sell a cigarette within this state unless the cigarette is of a variety the State Fire Marshal has determined to have reduced ignition propensity.
(2) Cigarette packaging may not bear a marking or other device identifying the packaged cigarettes as having reduced ignition propensity other than a packaging marking approved for use with those cigarettes by the State Fire Marshal under ORS 476.785 (Cigarette packaging markings). This subsection does not apply if the cigarettes are in interstate commerce and not intended for distribution in this state.
(3) The State Fire Marshal, an authorized representative of the State Fire Marshal or any law enforcement agency may immediately seize and subject to forfeiture any cigarettes distributed or offered for sale in violation of subsection (1) of this section and any packaging, and cigarettes contained in that packaging, that violates subsection (2) of this section. The State Fire Marshal shall destroy cigarettes and packaging seized and forfeited under this subsection. However, prior to destroying cigarettes or packaging seized under this subsection, the State Fire Marshal shall allow the true holder of the trademark rights in the cigarette variety to inspect the cigarettes and packaging.
(4) The State Fire Marshal may enter into a cooperative agreement with any state or local agency that allows the agency to act as an authorized representative of the State Fire Marshal for enforcement purposes under this section.
(5)(a) The State Fire Marshal or an authorized representative, upon oral or written demand, may inspect the inventory of cigarette manufacturers, wholesale or retail dealers and transporters as the State Fire Marshal or an authorized representative deems necessary to ensure compliance with this section. The State Fire Marshal may adopt rules to require reports, in a form prescribed by the State Fire Marshal, by cigarette manufacturers, wholesale or retail dealers and transporters for the purpose of ensuring compliance with this section.
(b) As used in this subsection, "transporter" has the meaning given that term in ORS 323.010 (Definitions for ORS 323.005 to 323.482). [2007 c.34 §2]
Note: See note under 476.755 (Definitions for ORS 476.755 to 476.790 and 476.995).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information