Certification of motor vehicle pollution control systems and inspection of motor vehicles
- • rules
The Environmental Quality Commission shall:
(1) Determine and adopt by rule criteria for certification of motor vehicle pollution control systems. In determining the criteria the commission shall consider the following:
(a) The experience of any other state or the federal government;
(b) The cost of the system and of its installation;
(c) The durability of the system;
(d) The ease of determining whether the system, when installed on a motor vehicle, is functioning properly; and
(e) Any other factors which, in the opinion of the commission, render such a system suitable for the control of motor vehicle air pollution or for the protection of the health, safety and welfare of the public.
(2) Prescribe by rule the manner in which a motor vehicle pollution control system shall be tested for certification. The rules may prescribe a more rigorous inspection procedure in the areas designated under ORS 815.300 (Exemptions from requirement to be equipped with pollution control system) (2)(a), including any expansion of such boundary under ORS 815.300 (Exemptions from requirement to be equipped with pollution control system) (2)(b), in order to reduce air pollution emissions in those areas of the state. No such rule shall require testing for certification more often than once during the period for which registration or renewal of registration for a motor vehicle is issued. No rule shall require testing for certification of a motor vehicle that is exempted from the requirement for certification under ORS 815.300 (Exemptions from requirement to be equipped with pollution control system).
(3) Issue certificates of approval for classes of motor vehicle pollution control systems which, after being tested by the commission or by a method acceptable to the commission, the commission finds meet the criteria adopted under subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Designate by rule classifications of motor vehicles for which certified systems are available.
(5) Revoke, suspend or restrict a certificate of approval previously issued upon a determination that the system no longer meets the criteria adopted under subsection (1) of this section pursuant to procedures for a contested case under ORS chapter 183.
(6) Designate suitable methods and standards for testing systems and inspecting motor vehicles to determine and insure compliance with the standards and criteria established by the commission.
(7) Except as provided in ORS 468A.370 (Cost-effective inspection program), contract for the use of or the performance of tests or other services within or without the state. [Formerly 468.375; 1993 c.791 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information