As used in this chapter:
(1) "Boxing" means a contest between contestants who fight with their fists protected by gloves or mittens fashioned of leather or similar material, the duration of which is limited to a stated number of rounds separated by rest periods of equal duration. "Boxing" includes kickboxing, a form of boxing in which blows are delivered with any part of the arm below the shoulder, including the hand, and any part of the leg below the hip, including the foot.
(2) "Entertainment wrestling" means a noncompetitive performance in which the participants deliver blows or apply holds with no intent to punish or immobilize an opponent. Entertainment wrestling is distinguished from boxing, mixed martial arts or other wrestling by the fact that the outcome of the performance is predetermined.
(3) "Event" means a boxing, mixed martial arts or entertainment wrestling match, contest, exhibition or performance.
(4) "Exhibition" means a demonstration of boxing or mixed martial arts skills, the results of which are not counted toward the official record of the competitors.
(5) "Judge" means a person licensed by the Superintendent of State Police who is at ringside during a boxing or mixed martial arts event and who has the responsibility of scoring the performance of the participants in the event.
(6) "Manager" means a person licensed by the superintendent who does any of the following:
(a) By contract or agreement undertakes to represent the interests of any professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor in procuring or arranging the conduct of any boxing or mixed martial arts event in which the professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor is a participant.
(b) Receives or is entitled to receive more than 10 percent of the contracted portion of the gross purse of any professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor for any services related to the boxer’s or mixed martial arts competitor’s participation in a boxing or mixed martial arts event.
(c) Is an officer, director or stockholder of any corporation which receives or is entitled to receive more than 10 percent of the contracted portion of the gross purse of any professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor for any services relating to the boxer’s or mixed martial arts competitor’s participation in a boxing or mixed martial arts event.
(d) Directs or controls the professional activities of any professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor.
(e) Attends the professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor at ringside or purports to be the manager of a professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor.
(7) "Matchmaker" means a person licensed by the Superintendent of State Police who is employed by or associated with a promoter in the capacity of booking and arranging boxing or mixed martial arts events between opponents and for whose activities in this regard the promoter is legally responsible.
(8) "Mixed martial arts" means a combative sporting contest, the rules of which allow two mixed martial arts competitors to attempt to achieve dominance over one another by utilizing a variety of techniques including, but not limited to, striking, grappling and the application of submission holds. "Mixed martial arts" does not include martial arts such as tae kwon do, karate, kempo karate, kenpo karate, judo, sumo, jujitsu, Brazilian jujitsu, submission wrestling and kung fu.
(9) "Official" means an individual authorized by the Oregon State Athletic Commission to perform duties as assigned by the commission. "Official" includes, but is not limited to, a referee, judge, timekeeper, inspector or ringside physician or other assigned medical personnel.
(10) "Person" includes an individual, association, partnership or corporation.
(11) "Professional boxer or mixed martial arts competitor" means an individual licensed by the superintendent who competes for or has competed for a money prize, purse or compensation in a boxing event or has competed in a professional or amateur mixed martial arts event.
(12) "Promoter" means a corporation, partnership, association, individual or other organization licensed by the superintendent who arranges, gives, holds or conducts a boxing, mixed martial arts or entertainment wrestling event in this state and who is legally responsible for the lawful conduct of the boxing, mixed martial arts or entertainment wrestling event. [1987 c.789 §2; 1991 c.211 §1; 1993 c.587 §1; 1993 c.742 §120; 1993 c.744 §209; 1997 c.350 §3; 2003 c.142 §1; 2007 c.585 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.