Interagency Council on Hunger and Homelessness
- • coordination of hunger and homelessness relief efforts
(1) The Housing and Community Services Department shall serve as the lead public body on hunger and homelessness issues.
(2) The Interagency Council on Hunger and Homelessness is established. The Director of the Housing and Community Services Department shall chair the council. In addition to the director, the council shall consist of 15 members as follows:
(a) One member representing each of the following:
(A) The Housing and Community Services Department.
(B) The Department of Corrections.
(C) The Economic and Community Development Department.
(D) The State Commission on Children and Families.
(E) The Department of Education.
(F) The State Department of Agriculture.
(G) The Employment Department.
(H) The Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
(I) The Department of Transportation.
(J) The Oregon Youth Authority.
(K) The Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development.
(L) The Department of Justice.
(b) Three members representing the Department of Human Services. Of the three members representing that department:
(A) One shall have expertise on issues affecting services to adults and families.
(B) One shall have expertise on issues affecting health services.
(C) One shall have expertise on issues affecting services to seniors and to persons with disabilities.
(3) Each council member must be the administrative head of the listed agency or an employee of that agency who is designated by the administrative head and who has an agency policy-making role affecting hunger, food programs, nutrition, homelessness or related issues.
(4) The Hunger Relief Task Force shall adopt recommendations and proposals as the task force deems appropriate. The council shall be responsible for receiving the recommendations and proposals adopted by the task force and the recommendations of any state body relating to the issue of homelessness, and for forwarding the recommendations and proposals to state agencies or other public or private organizations for action that the council deems appropriate:
(a) To ensure the coordination of state agency hunger relief efforts and homelessness relief efforts;
(b) To ensure that food and nutrition programs, other hunger relief efforts and homelessness relief efforts operate efficiently and effectively;
(c) To monitor the utilization of federal hunger relief efforts and homelessness relief efforts and provide outreach to expand underutilized programs; and
(d) To encourage the coordination of state and local programs, public and private antipoverty programs affecting food distribution and programs for assisting the homeless.
(5) The Director of the Housing and Community Services Department, in collaboration with the Director of Human Services, shall convene council meetings at least quarterly.
(6) The Director of the Housing and Community Services Department shall provide the council with staff support the director deems appropriate, by using Housing and Community Services Department employees or by contract. The director shall also provide the council with supplies as the director deems appropriate. [1993 c.271 §1; 1997 c.249 §159; 2001 c.109 §1; 2001 c.900 §202; 2007 c.145 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information