As used in this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Administrator" includes all superintendents, assistant superintendents and principals in the public schools or education service districts.
(2) "Approved teacher education institution" is one which meets the standards of the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission for preparation of teachers for preprimary programs and grades 1 through 12.
(3) "Approved teacher education program" is one offered by an approved teacher education institution and is so recognized by the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission, after considering recommendations of the State Board of Education.
(4) "Commission" means the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission.
(5) "Educational assistant" means a classified school employee who does not require a license to teach, who is employed by a school district or education service district and whose assignment consists of and is limited to assisting a licensed teacher in accordance with rules established by the State Board of Education.
(6) "Instruction" includes direction of learning in class, in small groups, in individual situations, in the library and in guidance and counseling, but does not include the provision of related services, as defined in ORS 343.035 (Definitions), to a child identified as a child with a disability pursuant to ORS 343.146 (Determination of eligibility for special education services) to 343.183 (Effect of school district failure to comply) when provided in accordance with ORS 343.221 (Special education required).
(7) "Intern teacher" means a regularly enrolled student of an approved teacher education institution who teaches under the supervision of the staff of the institution and of the employing school district in order to acquire practical experience in teaching and for which the student receives both academic credit from the institution and financial compensation from the school district or education service district.
(8) "State board" means the State Board of Education.
(9) "Teacher" includes all licensed employees in the public schools or employed by an education service district who have direct responsibility for instruction, coordination of educational programs or supervision or evaluation of teachers and who are compensated for their services from public funds. "Teacher" does not include a school nurse as defined in ORS 342.455 (Definition of "school nurse").
(10) "Teaching license" means a license issued under ORS 342.125 (Types of licenses) or 342.144 (American Indian languages teaching license). [1961 c.439 §1; 1965 c.100 §348; 1965 c.550 §1; 1973 c.270 §2; 1975 c.278 §1; 1981 c.393 §1; 1981 c.469 §5; 1989 c.125 §1; 1993 c.45 §149; 2001 c.653 §4; 2007 c.70 §100]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.