Tax levy to meet annual bonded indebtedness
- • bond sinking fund
(1) The board of the district shall ascertain and levy annually, in addition to all other taxes, a direct ad valorem tax on all the taxable property in the district, sufficient to pay the maturing interest and principal of all community college district bonds outstanding promptly when and as such payments become due. The amount of the tax may be increased by an amount sufficient to retire any bonds which may be callable. The board shall annually file a copy of its budget and levies with the paying agent and registrar. The board shall in each year include such taxes in the district budget for such year. Such taxes shall in each year be certified, extended upon the tax rolls and collected by the same officers in the same manner and at the same time as the taxes for general district purposes.
(2) The funds derived from such tax levies shall be retained by the paying agent and registrar without being paid to the district or to any officer thereof, and shall be kept by the paying agent and registrar in a separate fund to be known as and designated "______Community College District Bond Interest and Sinking Fund," which shall be irrevocably pledged to and used solely for the payment of the interest accruing on and the principal of the bonds when due, so long as any of the bonds or the coupons thereto appertaining remain outstanding and unpaid. The interest earnings of such fund shall be credited thereto and become a part thereof. For failure to retain and account for such funds, as provided in this section, the paying agent and registrar shall be liable upon the official bond of the paying agent and registrar.
(3) The fund shall not be diverted or used for any other purpose; but if a surplus remains after all interest and principal have been paid on all community college district bonds then outstanding and unpaid, the surplus may be transferred to such other fund as the board of the district may direct.
(4) If the tax required by subsection (1) of this section is not levied by the board of the district, the paying agent and registrar shall certify the county share, based on the proportion of the assessed valuation of the community college district located in the county, to the governing body of each county in which territory of the district is located which shall then levy a tax on all taxable property within the county that is in the district sufficient to raise the required amount.
(5) The county assessors shall extend the tax so levied upon the county tax rolls for such district. The county sheriffs shall collect this tax and pay the sums collected into the fund kept by the paying agent and registrar pursuant to subsection (2) of this section. [1971 c.513 §45; 1995 c.67 §33]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information