When tuition authorized
- • waiver of tuition and fees
(1)(a) Notwithstanding ORS 339.141 (Tuition prohibited for regular school program), no district school board or public charter school as defined in ORS 338.005 (Definitions) shall require tuition for courses not part of the regular school program, except for traffic safety education, from a pupil who is a member of a low-income family in an amount in excess of what the low-income family may receive as money specifically to be used for payment of such tuition.
(b) As used in this subsection, "low-income family" means a family whose children qualify for free or reduced price school meals under a federal program, including but not limited to the National School Lunch Act and the Child Nutrition Act of 1966, and all their subsequent amendments.
(2) A family that does not qualify under subsection (1) of this section but believes the payment of school tuition is a severe hardship may request the district school board or public charter school to waive in whole or in part the payment of such tuition.
(3) Any parent or guardian who believes that payment of any fee authorized under ORS 339.155 (Prohibitions of certain fees as condition of admission) is a severe hardship may request the district school board or public charter school to waive payment of the fee and the board or public charter school shall waive in whole or in part the fee upon a finding of hardship. Consideration shall be given to any funds specifically available to the parent, guardian or child for the payment of fees or other school expenses.
(4) No district school board or public charter school shall impose or collect fees authorized under ORS 339.155 (Prohibitions of certain fees as condition of admission) from any student who is a ward of a juvenile court or of the Oregon Youth Authority or the Department of Human Services unless funds are available therefor in the court’s, authority’s or department’s budget.
(5) No district school board or public charter school is required to waive any fee imposed under ORS 339.155 (Prohibitions of certain fees as condition of admission) (5)(a) or (d). [Formerly 336.168; 1997 c.249 §99; 1999 c.200 §32; 1999 c.328 §13]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information