- • purpose
- • online course standards
- • rules
(1) There is created the Oregon Virtual School District within the Department of Education. The purpose of the Oregon Virtual School District is to provide online courses to kindergarten through grade 12 public school students.
(2) The Oregon Virtual School District shall provide online courses that meet academic content standards as defined in ORS 329.007 (Definitions) and meet other criteria adopted by the State Board of Education. Any person who teaches an online course must be properly licensed or registered as required by ORS 338.135 (Employees) and 342.173 (Effect of employing unlicensed teacher or administrator by certain districts) for a person employed by a school district or public charter school. All school districts and public charter schools may allow students to access the online courses offered by the Oregon Virtual School District.
(3) The Superintendent of Public Instruction may contract with education service districts, school districts, public charter schools, community colleges, state institutions of higher education or any other public entity to provide online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District.
(4) Statutes and rules that apply to other school districts do not apply to the Oregon Virtual School District except as provided under this section or by rule of the State Board of Education. The Oregon Virtual School District is not considered a school district for purposes of apportionment of the State School Fund and the department may not receive a direct apportionment under ORS 327.008 (State School Fund) from the State School Fund for the Oregon Virtual School District.
(5) The board may adopt the rules necessary for the administration of the Oregon Virtual School District and shall adopt rules to establish:
(a) The procedure and criteria to be used for the selection of online courses to be offered through the Oregon Virtual School District;
(b) The qualifications of students who may access online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District;
(c) The number of credits for which students may access online courses through the Oregon Virtual School District; and
(d) The student-to-teacher ratio for online courses offered through the Oregon Virtual School District. [2005 c.834 §1]
Note: 329.840 (Creation) and 329.842 (Oregon Virtual School District Fund) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 329 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information