Warrant to sheriff to levy upon and sell property of delinquent taxpayer
- • recording
- • execution
- • agents
- • remedies for warrant returned not satisfied
(1) If any tax imposed under ORS 323.500 (Definitions for ORS 323.500 to 323.645) to 323.645 (Short title), or any portion of the tax, is not paid within the time provided by law and no provision is made to secure the payment of the tax by bond, deposit or otherwise, pursuant to rules adopted by the Department of Revenue, the department may issue a warrant directed to the sheriff of any county of the state commanding the sheriff to levy upon and sell the real and personal property of the taxpayer found within the county, for the payment of the amount of the tax, with the added penalties, interest and the sheriff’s cost of executing the warrant, and to return the warrant to the department and pay to it the money collected from the sale, within 60 days after the date of receipt of the warrant.
(2) The sheriff shall, within five days after the receipt of the warrant, record with the clerk of the county a copy of the warrant, and the clerk shall immediately enter in the County Clerk Lien Record the name of the taxpayer mentioned in the warrant, the amount of the tax or portion of the tax and penalties for which the warrant is issued and the date the copy is recorded. The amount of the warrant so recorded shall become a lien upon the title to and interest in real property of the taxpayer against whom it is issued in the same manner as a judgment that creates a judgment lien under ORS chapter 18. The sheriff immediately shall proceed upon the warrant in all respects, with like effect and in the same manner prescribed by law in respect to executions issued against property upon judgment of a court of record, and shall be entitled to the same fees for services in executing the warrant, to be added to and collected as a part of the warrant liability.
(3) In the discretion of the department a warrant of like terms, force and effect may be issued and directed to any agent authorized to collect the taxes imposed by ORS 323.500 (Definitions for ORS 323.500 to 323.645) to 323.645 (Short title). In the execution of the warrant, the agent shall have all the powers conferred by law upon sheriffs, but is entitled to no fee or compensation in excess of actual expenses paid in the performance of such duty.
(4) If a warrant is returned not satisfied in full, the department shall have the same remedies to enforce the claim for taxes against the taxpayer as if the people of the state had recovered judgment against the taxpayer for the amount of the tax. [1985 c.816 §35; 1987 c.158 §55; 2003 c.576 §205; 2003 c.804 §50]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information