(1) A credit against taxes imposed by ORS chapter 316 (or, if the taxpayer is a corporation, under ORS chapter 317) for the investments certified under ORS 468.466 (Action on application) shall be allowed if the taxpayer qualifies under subsection (4) of this section.
(2) A taxpayer shall be allowed a tax credit under this section each year for five tax years beginning in the tax year the investment receives final certification under ORS 468.466 (Action on application). The maximum credit allowed in any one tax year shall be the lesser of the tax liability of the taxpayer or 10 percent of the certified cost of the taxpayer’s investment.
(3) To qualify for the credit the investment must be made in accordance with the provisions of ORS 468.461 (Application for certification of investment to collect, transport or process reclaimed plastic or manufacture reclaimed plastic product).
(4)(a) The taxpayer who is allowed the credit must be:
(A) The owner of the business that collects, transports or processes reclaimed plastic or manufactures a reclaimed plastic product;
(B) A person who, as a lessee or pursuant to an agreement, conducts the business that collects, transports or processes reclaimed plastic or manufactures a reclaimed plastic product; or
(C) A person who, as an owner, lessee or pursuant to an agreement, owns, leases or has a beneficial interest in a business that collects, transports or processes reclaimed plastic or manufactures a reclaimed plastic product. Such person may, but need not, operate or conduct such a business that collects, transports or processes reclaimed plastic or manufactures a reclaimed plastic product. If more than one person has an interest under this subparagraph in a qualifying business and one or more persons receive a certificate, such person or persons may allocate all or any part of the certified investment cost among any persons and their successors or assigns having an interest under this subparagraph. Such allocation shall be evidenced by a written statement signed by the person or persons receiving the certificate and designating the persons to whom the certified investment costs have been allocated and the amount of certified investment cost allocated to each. This statement shall be filed with the Department of Revenue not later than the final day of the first tax year for which a tax credit is claimed pursuant to such agreement. In no event shall the aggregate certified investment costs allocated between or among more than one person exceed the amount of the total certified cost of the investment. As used in this paragraph, "owner" includes a contract purchaser;
(b) The business must be owned or leased during the tax year by the taxpayer claiming the credit, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (a)(C) of this subsection, and must have been collecting, transporting or processing reclaimed plastic or manufacturing a reclaimed plastic product during the tax year for which the credit is claimed; and
(c) The reclaimed plastic collected, transported, processed or used to manufacture the reclaimed plastic product must not be an industrial waste generated by the person claiming the tax credit, but must be purchased from a plastic recycler other than the person claiming the tax credit.
(5) The credit provided by this section is not in lieu of any depreciation or amortization deduction for the investment to which the taxpayer otherwise may be entitled under ORS chapter 316 or 317 for such year.
(6) Upon any sale, exchange, or other disposition of a qualifying business, notice thereof shall be given to the Environmental Quality Commission who shall revoke the certification covering the investment of such business as of the date of such disposition. Notwithstanding ORS 468.461 (Application for certification of investment to collect, transport or process reclaimed plastic or manufacture reclaimed plastic product) (6), the transferee may apply for a new certificate under ORS 468.466 (Action on application), but the tax credit available to such transferee shall be limited to the amount of credit not claimed by the transferor. The sale, exchange or other disposition of shares in an S corporation as defined in section 1361 of the Internal Revenue Code or of a partner’s interest in a partnership shall not be deemed a sale, exchange or other disposition of a business for purposes of this subsection.
(7) Any tax credit otherwise allowable under this section which is not used by the taxpayer in a particular year may be carried forward and offset against the taxpayer’s tax liability for the next succeeding tax year. Any credit remaining unused in such next succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the second succeeding tax year, and likewise, any credit not used in that second succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the third succeeding tax year and any credit not used in that third succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the fourth succeeding tax year, and any credit not used in that fourth succeeding tax year may be carried forward and used in the fifth succeeding tax year, but may not be carried forward for any tax year thereafter. Credits may be carried forward to and used in a tax year beyond the years specified in ORS 468.461 (Application for certification of investment to collect, transport or process reclaimed plastic or manufacture reclaimed plastic product).
(8) The taxpayer’s adjusted basis for determining gain or loss shall not be further decreased by any tax credits allowed under this section.
(9) A nonresident shall be allowed the credit under this section in the proportion provided in ORS 316.117 (Proration between Oregon income and other income for nonresidents, part-year residents and trusts).
(10) If a change in the status of a taxpayer from resident to nonresident or from nonresident to resident occurs, the credit allowed by this section shall be determined in a manner consistent with ORS 316.117 (Proration between Oregon income and other income for nonresidents, part-year residents and trusts).
(11) If a change in the taxable year of a taxpayer occurs as described in ORS 314.085 (Taxable year), or if the department terminates the taxpayer’s taxable year under ORS 314.440 (Tax as debt), the credit allowed under this section shall be prorated or computed in a manner consistent with ORS 314.085 (Taxable year).
(12) No credit shall be allowed under this section and under ORS 468.451 (Definitions for ORS 468.451 to 468.491) to 468.491 (Limit on costs certified by commission for tax credit) for any portion of a facility for which the taxpayer claims a tax credit or ad valorem tax relief under ORS 307.405 (Pollution control facilities), 315.304 (Pollution control facilities), 315.354 (Energy conservation facilities), 315.356 (Other grants as offset to cost of energy conservation facility) and 469.185 (Definitions for ORS 469.185 to 469.225 and 469.878) to 469.225 (Revocation of certificate) or 316.116 (Credit for alternative energy device or alternative fuel vehicle). [1993 c.730 §32 (enacted in lieu of 316.103 and 317.106); 1995 c.746 §7]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information