ORS 274.250¹
  • action by department
  • appeal from decision of department

(1) Upon failure of any parties having contracts with the state for construction of drainage and reclamation works to begin the same within the time specified by the contract, or to complete the same within the time or in accordance with the specifications of the contract, the Department of State Lands shall give such parties written notice of such failure. If the parties have failed to proceed with the work or to conform to the specifications of the contract on or before the 60th day after the sending of such notice, the contract and all work constructed thereunder is forfeited to the state.

(2) Upon forfeiture, the department shall immediately give notice once every week for a period of four weeks in some newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the work is situated, and in one newspaper of general circulation in this state, declaring the forfeiture of the contract, and that upon a day stated in the notice proposals will be received at the office of the department for the purchase of incomplete works and for the completion of the contract, the time for receiving such bids to be not earlier than the 60th day after issuance of the last notice of the forfeiture. The sales shall be for cash to the highest responsible bidder. The money received from the sale of the partially completed works under this section shall first be applied to the expenses incurred by the state in their forfeiture and disposal, and any surplus shall be paid into the State Treasury and become a part of the Common School Fund.

(3) The contractors may appeal from the decision of the department. The appeal shall be heard in chambers by the circuit court of the district wherein the head works of the drainage system are situated. [Amended by 1967 c.421 §125]

Chapter 274

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Power of Depart­ment of Environ­mental Quality to regulate mining activities and recovery of oil and geothermal activities, (1972) Vol 35, p 1100; Division of State Lands' authority to require lease or fill or removal permit for private company dredging submerged offshore lands to harvest clams, (1979) Vol 40, p 35; State Land Board's authority to delegate duties to Port of Portland, (1979) Vol 40, p 111

Law Review Cita­tions

4 EL 343, 346, 348 (1974)

1 Legislative Counsel Committee, CHAPTER 274—Submersible and Submerged Lands, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­Archive/­2007ors274.­pdf (2007) (last ac­cessed Feb. 12, 2009).
2 Legislative Counsel Committee, Annotations to the Oregon Revised Stat­utes, Cumulative Supplement - 2007, Chapter 274, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­274ano.­htm (2007) (last ac­cessed Feb. 12, 2009).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information