Powers of district
The board of directors shall transact all business pertinent to the affairs of a cemetery maintenance district. The district has the power:
(1) To sue and be sued.
(2) To purchase, take by gift or devise, own, hold, manage and operate land for cemetery purposes.
(3) To acquire in any manner permitted by law existing cemeteries and to manage, operate, enlarge, maintain and beautify them.
(4) To plat and lay out in suitable cemetery lots and blocks for burial purposes any land it may own or control.
(5) To make such contracts and to purchase and own such personal property as may be necessary or convenient for carrying out the purposes of this chapter.
(6) To sell or perpetually lease cemetery lots or tracts for burial purposes.
(7) To set aside, at the discretion of the board of directors, not to exceed one-half of the moneys derived from the sale or lease of cemetery lots and tracts as an irreducible maintenance fund. Any money gift or bequest, if so designated in the instrument creating the same, shall be placed and held in the irreducible maintenance fund, and the interest of such fund shall be used in the perpetual upkeep and beautification of the cemetery and lots therein. Such fund shall be invested only in such securities as state funds may be invested in by the State Treasurer under the laws of this state.
(8) To do any and all things necessary or convenient for proper ownership, operation, maintenance and management of the district property.
(9) To levy a tax on all taxable property within the district, computed in accordance with ORS 308.207 (Computation of real market value for taxing or bonding limitations), for the purpose of defraying the expenses of operation of the district and purchase of necessary property therefor. [Amended by 1953 c.53 §2; 1963 c.9 §10; 1971 c.647 §52; 1987 c.531 §1; 2003 c.802 §91]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information