State and federal voter registration cards
- • Secretary of State approval of voter registration application forms of voter registration agencies
- • content of voter registration cards
(1) Except as provided in this subsection, the Secretary of State shall design, prepare and distribute state voter registration cards. The Secretary of State shall also distribute federal registration cards. Any person may apply in writing to the Secretary of State for permission to print, copy or otherwise prepare and distribute the registration cards designed by the Secretary of State. The secretary may revoke any permission granted under this subsection at any time. All registration cards shall be distributed to the public without charge.
(2) The Secretary of State shall approve any voter registration application form developed for use by the Department of Transportation under ORS 247.017 (Voter registration at certain Department of Transportation offices) or by any other agency designated a voter registration agency under ORS 247.208 (Voter registration agencies).
(3) Each voter registration card designed or approved by the Secretary of State shall describe the penalties for knowingly supplying false information on the registration card and shall contain space for a person to provide the following information:
(a) Full name;
(b) Residence address, mailing address or any other information necessary to locate the residence of the person offering to register to vote;
(c) The name of the political party with which the person is affiliated, if any;
(d) Date of birth;
(e) An indication that the person is a citizen of the United States; and
(f) A signature attesting to the fact that the person is qualified to be an elector.
(4) Any form containing a voter registration card may also include space for a person to provide:
(a) A telephone number where the person may be contacted; and
(b) If previously registered to vote in this state, the name then supplied by the person and the county and, if known, the address of previous registration.
(5) A person shall not supply any information under subsection (3) or (4) of this section knowing it to be false.
(6) A county clerk or other person accepting registration cards shall not request any information unless it is authorized by state or federal law.
(7) A person shall attest to the information supplied on the voter registration card by signing the completed registration card.
(8) Any completed and signed registration card described in subsection (3) of this section shall be the official registration card of the elector. [1957 c.608 §36; 1965 c.464 §2; 1971 c.241 §5; 1975 c.678 §16; 1977 c.168 §4; 1979 c.190 §47; 1985 c.808 §4; 1985 c.833 §3; 1987 c.320 §150; 1987 c.719 §11; 1987 c.733 §3; 1989 c.20 §3; 1989 c.173 §1; 1989 c.979 §5; 1993 c.713 §10; 1995 c.742 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information