Voter registration at certain Department of Transportation offices
- • rules
(1) The Department of Transportation shall make a voter registration card available to any person at any office of the department where licenses or renewal applications are distributed or received.
(2) When a person who is at least 17 years of age applies for issuance or renewal of an Oregon driver license, as defined in ORS 801.245 ("Driver license"), or issuance of a state identification card under ORS 807.400 (Issuance) or submits a change of address application form at a department office where driver license issuance or renewal applications, state identification card applications or change of address applications are distributed or received, department personnel shall inform the person that the person may register to vote at the department office. Department personnel shall ask the applicant whether the applicant is registered to vote at the applicant’s current address and if not, whether the applicant would like to register to vote at the department office.
(3) Each office shall deliver in a timely manner the completed voter registration cards to the county clerk or elections officer of the county in which the office is located. The county clerk or elections officer of the county where the office is located shall forward the registration card to the county clerk or elections officer of the county in which the applicant resides. The county clerk or elections officer may reject any registration card in accordance with ORS 247.174 (Determining if person qualified to register or update registration). The Secretary of State shall determine by rule the time and manner the completed registration cards are to be delivered to the appropriate county clerk or elections officer.
(4) The department shall develop a driver license issuance or renewal and voter registration application procedure and a state identification card issuance and voter registration application procedure and a change of address and voter registration application procedure that allows an applicant for a license, renewal, state identification card or change of address to register to vote by providing the information required by ORS 247.171 (State and federal voter registration cards) and the information required for the issuance or renewal of a license or for issuance of a state identification card. The Secretary of State shall approve the voter registration portion of each application procedure and change of address procedure.
(5) The voter registration portion of an application described in subsection (4) of this section shall comply with provisions of the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (P.L. 103-31).
(6) The Secretary of State shall adopt rules establishing procedures for meeting the requirements of subsection (3) of this section.
(7) Information relating to the failure of an applicant under this section to sign the voter registration portion of an application for issuance or renewal of a driver license, issuance of a state identification card or for a change of address may not be used for other than voter registration purposes. [Formerly 802.090; 1995 c.742 §2; 2007 c.555 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information