Costs of plan administration assessed against participants
- • apportionment of expenses
- • expenses not board budgeted items
(1) ORS 243.401 (Definitions for ORS 243.401 to 243.507) to 243.507 (Payment of deferred compensation to alternate payee under judgment or order) shall be implemented and administered by the Public Employees Retirement Board so that no expense is incurred by the State of Oregon or the Public Employees Retirement Fund and so that the State of Oregon and the Public Employees Retirement System incur no liabilities other than those liabilities that may be imposed under ORS 243.401 (Definitions for ORS 243.401 to 243.507) to 243.507 (Payment of deferred compensation to alternate payee under judgment or order) or other law. In addition to the amounts that may be deducted by the State Treasurer pursuant to ORS 293.718 (Payment of expenses of State Treasurer), the Public Employees Retirement System may assess a charge against the accounts of state plan participants in the Deferred Compensation Fund. The charge may not exceed two percent of the balances of those accounts. Funds collected pursuant to the charge are continuously appropriated for and shall be used only to cover the costs incurred by the system to administer the state deferred compensation plan, to issue refunds and to pay costs incurred in investing the plan assets.
(2) For the purpose of implementing and administering the provisions of ORS 243.401 (Definitions for ORS 243.401 to 243.507) to 243.507 (Payment of deferred compensation to alternate payee under judgment or order), including implementation and administration of service agreements entered into with local governments under ORS 243.478 (Plan administration agreements), the Public Employees Retirement Board may designate fiscal periods. The board may apportion extraordinary expenses incurred during any fiscal period, including but not limited to expenses for equipment and actuarial studies, to subsequent fiscal periods for purposes of equitably distributing the burden of the expenses. The board may carry forward unexpended fees collected in one fiscal period to a later fiscal period for the payment of future expenses.
(3) In the event the assessment provided for in subsection (1) of this section is inadequate to meet the administrative expenses incurred by the system for the state deferred compensation plan, and these expenses are not carried over to another fiscal period, the excess expenses may be paid by an additional one-time assessment against the account balances of state plan participants in the Deferred Compensation Fund. The additional assessment shall be in an amount determined by the Public Employees Retirement Board to be sufficient to pay the excess expenses in the fiscal period in which the assessment is made. The one-time assessment is in addition to the regular assessment provided for in subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Deferred compensation benefit payments, and amounts payable as refunds, shall not for any purpose be deemed expenses of the board and shall not be included in its biennial departmental budget. [1997 c.179 §14; 2001 c.716 §23]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.