Additional death benefit
(1) In addition to any other benefits under this chapter, a death benefit, provided by contributions of the public employer under ORS 238.225 (Employer contributions), shall be paid to the beneficiaries designated under ORS 238.390 (Death benefit) (1) of a person who is an active or inactive member of the system and who dies as a result of injuries received while employed in the service of the public employer or within 120 days after termination from service with a participating public employer. A member who is on a leave of absence without pay from employment with a participating public employer has not terminated service with that participating public employer for the purposes of this section.
(2) The death benefit referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be an amount equal to the amount in the member account of the deceased member at the time of death.
(3) In the event that a beneficiary has not been named as provided in subsection (1) of this section and ORS 238.390 (Death benefit) (1), the death benefit referred to in subsection (1) of this section shall be paid in the manner provided for payment of money credited to the member account of the member in ORS 238.390 (Death benefit) (2).
(4) The beneficiary designated under subsection (1) of this section and ORS 238.390 (Death benefit) (1) may elect to receive the amount payable in actuarially determined monthly payments for the life of such beneficiary as long as such monthly payments, plus the monthly amount if elected under ORS 238.390 (Death benefit) (3), are at least $200.
(5) Interest upon the death benefit provided by this section shall accrue until the date that the benefit is distributed. The board shall establish procedures for computing interest to be credited on the benefit for the period between the date of death and date of distribution.
(6) Payment by the Public Employees Retirement Board of additional death benefits in the manner provided by this section completely discharges the board and system on account of the death, and shall hold the board and system harmless from any claim for wrongful payment. [Formerly 237.169; 2001 c.945 §57; 2003 c.625 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.