Procedure for adopting zoning ordinances
- • notice
(1) No zoning ordinance enacted by the county governing body may have legal effect unless prior to its enactment the governing body or the planning commission conducts one or more public hearings on the ordinance and unless 10 days’ advance public notice of each hearing is published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county or, in case the ordinance applies to only a part of the county, is so published in that part of the county.
(2) The notice provisions of this section shall not restrict the giving of notice by other means, including mail, radio and television.
(3) In effecting a zone change the proceedings for which are commenced at the request of a property owner, the governing body shall in addition to other notice give individual notice of the request by mail to the record owners of property within 250 feet of the property for which a zone change has been requested. The failure of the property owner to receive the notice described shall not invalidate any zone change.
(4) Notice of a public hearing on a zone change pursuant to the application of a property owner shall be provided to the owner of an airport, defined by the Oregon Department of Aviation as a "public use airport" if:
(a) The name and address of the airport owner has been provided by the Oregon Department of Aviation to the county planning authority; and
(b) The property subject to the zone change application is:
(A) Within 5,000 feet of the side or end of a runway of an airport determined by the Oregon Department of Aviation to be a "visual airport"; or
(B) Within 10,000 feet of the side or end of the runway of an airport determined by the Oregon Department of Aviation to be an "instrument airport."
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (4) of this section, notice of a zone change hearing need not be provided as set forth in subsection (4) of this section if the zone change would only allow a structure less than 35 feet in height and the property is located outside the runway "approach surface" as defined by the Oregon Department of Aviation.
(6) The failure of an airport owner to receive notice that was mailed shall not invalidate any zone change.
(7) Before enacting at the request of a property owner an ordinance that would change the zone of property that includes all or part of a mobile home or manufactured dwelling park as defined in ORS 446.003 (Definitions for ORS 446.003 to 446.200 and 446.225 to 446.285 and ORS chapters 195, 196, 197, 215 and 227), the governing body shall give written notice by first class mail to each existing mailing address for tenants of the mobile home or manufactured dwelling park at least 20 days but not more than 40 days before the date of the first hearing on the ordinance. The governing body may require an applicant for such a zone change to pay the costs of such notice. The failure of a tenant to receive a notice which was mailed shall not invalidate any zone change. [1963 c.619 §8; 1967 c.589 §3; 1985 c.473 §14; 1987 c.106 §1; 1989 c.648 §60; 1999 c.935 §21]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.