Definitions for ORS chapters 195, 196 and 197
As used in ORS chapters 195, 196 and 197, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Acknowledgment" means a commission order that certifies that a comprehensive plan and land use regulations, land use regulation or plan or regulation amendment complies with the goals or certifies that Metro land use planning goals and objectives, Metro regional framework plan, amendments to Metro planning goals and objectives or amendments to the Metro regional framework plan comply with the statewide planning goals.
(2) "Board" means the Land Use Board of Appeals.
(3) "Carport" means a stationary structure consisting of a roof with its supports and not more than one wall, or storage cabinet substituting for a wall, and used for sheltering a motor vehicle.
(4) "Commission" means the Land Conservation and Development Commission.
(5) "Comprehensive plan" means a generalized, coordinated land use map and policy statement of the governing body of a local government that interrelates all functional and natural systems and activities relating to the use of lands, including but not limited to sewer and water systems, transportation systems, educational facilities, recreational facilities, and natural resources and air and water quality management programs. "Comprehensive" means all-inclusive, both in terms of the geographic area covered and functional and natural activities and systems occurring in the area covered by the plan. "General nature" means a summary of policies and proposals in broad categories and does not necessarily indicate specific locations of any area, activity or use. A plan is "coordinated" when the needs of all levels of governments, semipublic and private agencies and the citizens of Oregon have been considered and accommodated as much as possible. "Land" includes water, both surface and subsurface, and the air.
(6) "Department" means the Department of Land Conservation and Development.
(7) "Director" means the Director of the Department of Land Conservation and Development.
(8) "Goals" means the mandatory statewide planning standards adopted by the commission pursuant to ORS chapters 195, 196 and 197.
(9) "Guidelines" means suggested approaches designed to aid cities and counties in preparation, adoption and implementation of comprehensive plans in compliance with goals and to aid state agencies and special districts in the preparation, adoption and implementation of plans, programs and regulations in compliance with goals. Guidelines shall be advisory and shall not limit state agencies, cities, counties and special districts to a single approach.
(10) "Land use decision":
(A) A final decision or determination made by a local government or special district that concerns the adoption, amendment or application of:
(i) The goals;
(ii) A comprehensive plan provision;
(iii) A land use regulation; or
(iv) A new land use regulation;
(B) A final decision or determination of a state agency other than the commission with respect to which the agency is required to apply the goals; or
(C) A decision of a county planning commission made under ORS 433.763 (Compliance with land use regulations required);
(b) Does not include a decision of a local government:
(A) That is made under land use standards that do not require interpretation or the exercise of policy or legal judgment;
(B) That approves or denies a building permit issued under clear and objective land use standards;
(C) That is a limited land use decision;
(D) That determines final engineering design, construction, operation, maintenance, repair or preservation of a transportation facility that is otherwise authorized by and consistent with the comprehensive plan and land use regulations;
(E) That is an expedited land division as described in ORS 197.360 ("Expedited land division" defined);
(F) That approves, pursuant to ORS 480.450 (Notice of new installations) (7), the siting, installation, maintenance or removal of a liquid petroleum gas container or receptacle regulated exclusively by the State Fire Marshal under ORS 480.410 (Definition) to 480.460 (Disposition of fees); or
(G) That approves or denies approval of a final subdivision or partition plat or that determines whether a final subdivision or partition plat substantially conforms to the tentative subdivision or partition plan;
(c) Does not include a decision by a school district to close a school;
(d) Does not include authorization of an outdoor mass gathering as defined in ORS 433.735 (Definitions for ORS 433.735 to 433.770), or other gathering of fewer than 3,000 persons that is not anticipated to continue for more than 120 hours in any three-month period; and
(e) Does not include:
(A) A writ of mandamus issued by a circuit court in accordance with ORS 215.429 (Mandamus proceeding when county fails to take final action on land use application within specified time) or 227.179 (Petition for writ of mandamus authorized when city fails to take final action on land use application within 120 days); or
(B) Any local decision or action taken on an application subject to ORS 215.427 (Final action on permit or zone change application) or 227.178 (Final action on certain applications required within 120 days) after a petition for a writ of mandamus has been filed under ORS 215.429 (Mandamus proceeding when county fails to take final action on land use application within specified time) or 227.179 (Petition for writ of mandamus authorized when city fails to take final action on land use application within 120 days).
(11) "Land use regulation" means any local government zoning ordinance, land division ordinance adopted under ORS 92.044 (Adoption of standards and procedures governing approval of plats and plans) or 92.046 (Adoption of regulations governing approval of partitioning of land) or similar general ordinance establishing standards for implementing a comprehensive plan.
(12) "Limited land use decision":
(a) Means a final decision or determination made by a local government pertaining to a site within an urban growth boundary that concerns:
(A) The approval or denial of a tentative subdivision or partition plan, as described in ORS 92.040 (Application for approval of subdivision or partition) (1).
(B) The approval or denial of an application based on discretionary standards designed to regulate the physical characteristics of a use permitted outright, including but not limited to site review and design review.
(b) Does not mean a final decision made by a local government pertaining to a site within an urban growth boundary that concerns approval or denial of a final subdivision or partition plat or that determines whether a final subdivision or partition plat substantially conforms to the tentative subdivision or partition plan.
(13) "Local government" means any city, county or metropolitan service district formed under ORS chapter 268 or an association of local governments performing land use planning functions under ORS 195.025 (Regional coordination of planning activities).
(14) "Metro" means a metropolitan service district organized under ORS chapter 268.
(15) "Metro planning goals and objectives" means the land use goals and objectives that a metropolitan service district may adopt under ORS 268.380 (Land-use planning goals and activities) (1)(a). The goals and objectives do not constitute a comprehensive plan.
(16) "Metro regional framework plan" means the regional framework plan required by the 1992 Metro Charter or its separate components. Neither the regional framework plan nor its individual components constitute a comprehensive plan.
(17) "New land use regulation" means a land use regulation other than an amendment to an acknowledged land use regulation adopted by a local government that already has a comprehensive plan and land regulations acknowledged under ORS 197.251 (Compliance acknowledgment).
(18) "Person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, association, governmental subdivision or agency or public or private organization of any kind. The Land Conservation and Development Commission or its designee is considered a person for purposes of appeal under ORS chapters 195 and 197.
(19) "Special district" means any unit of local government, other than a city, county, metropolitan service district formed under ORS chapter 268 or an association of local governments performing land use planning functions under ORS 195.025 (Regional coordination of planning activities), authorized and regulated by statute and includes but is not limited to water control districts, domestic water associations and water cooperatives, irrigation districts, port districts, regional air quality control authorities, fire districts, school districts, hospital districts, mass transit districts and sanitary districts.
(20) "Urban unincorporated community" means an area designated in a county’s acknowledged comprehensive plan as an urban unincorporated community after December 5, 1994.
(21) "Voluntary association of local governments" means a regional planning agency in this state officially designated by the Governor pursuant to the federal Office of Management and Budget Circular A-95 as a regional clearinghouse.
(22) "Wetlands" means those areas that are inundated or saturated by surface or ground water at a frequency and duration that are sufficient to support, and that under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soil conditions. [1973 c.80 §3; 1977 c.664 §2; 1979 c.772 §7; 1981 c.748 §1; 1983 c.827 §1; 1989 c.761 §1; 1989 c.837 §23; 1991 c.817 §1; 1993 c.438 §1; 1993 c.550 §4; 1995 c.595 §22; 1995 c.812 §1; 1997 c.833 §20; 1999 c.533 §11; 1999 c.866 §1; 2001 c.955 §§2,3; 2005 c.22 §137; 2005 c.88 §3; 2005 c.239 §2; 2005 c.829 §8; 2007 c.354 §§4,5; 2007 c.459 §§1,2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.