Transfer of decedent’s property to affiant
- • proceedings to compel transfer
(1) Any person indebted to the decedent or having possession of personal property belonging to the estate, to whom a certified copy of the affidavit filed under ORS 114.515 (Value of estate) is delivered by the affiant on or after the 10th day following the filing of the affidavit, shall pay, transfer or deliver the personal property to the affiant. Any person who has received property of the decedent under ORS 446.616 (Transfer of interest in manufactured structure), 722.262 (Payment of savings account or demand deposit account on death of holder) or 803.094 (Release or assignment of title interest), or any similar statute providing for the transfer of property of an estate which is not being probated shall pay, transfer or deliver the property to the affiant if the person would be required to pay, transfer or deliver the property to a personal representative of the estate. The transferor is discharged and released from any liability or responsibility for the transfer in the same manner and with the same effect as if the property had been transferred, delivered or paid to a personal representative of the estate of the decedent.
(2) A transfer agent of any corporate security registered in the name of the decedent shall change the registered ownership on the books of the corporation to the person entitled thereto on presentation of a certified copy of the affidavit filed under ORS 114.515 (Value of estate).
(3) If a person to whom an affidavit is delivered refuses to pay, deliver or transfer any personal property to the affiant or the person entitled to the property as disclosed in the affidavit filed under ORS 114.515 (Value of estate), the property may be recovered or its payment, delivery or transfer compelled upon proof of the transferee’s entitlement in a proceeding brought for the purpose by or on behalf of the transferee.
(4) If the affidavit was signed by the Director of Human Services or a designee of the director, the director or the designee may certify a copy of the affidavit for the purposes described in subsection (1) or (2) of this section. [1973 c.710 §4; 1979 c.340 §3; 1989 c.228 §4; 1991 c.67 §23; 1997 c.631 §404; 2003 c.196 §2; 2003 c.655 §60]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information