How action conducted
- • fees
- • surcharge
(1) Except as provided in this section and ORS 105.135 (Service and return of summons), 105.137 (Effect of failure of party to appear) and 105.140 (Continuance) to 105.161 (Service and enforcement of writ of execution and eviction trespass notice), an action pursuant to ORS 105.110 (Action for forcible entry or wrongful detainer) shall be conducted in all respects as other actions in courts of this state.
(2) Upon filing a complaint in the case of a dwelling unit to which ORS chapter 90 applies, the clerk shall:
(a) Collect a filing fee of $13;
(b) Collect any other fee authorized by law or ordinance; and
(c) With the assistance of the plaintiff or an agent of the plaintiff, complete the applicable summons and provide to the plaintiff or an agent of the plaintiff sufficient copies of the summons and complaint for service.
(3) After a complaint is filed under subsection (2) of this section, if the defendant demands a trial, the plaintiff shall pay an additional filing fee of $29 and the defendant shall pay a filing fee of $42.
(4) An action pursuant to ORS 105.110 (Action for forcible entry or wrongful detainer) shall be brought in the name of a person entitled to possession as plaintiff. The plaintiff may appear in person or through an attorney. In an action to which ORS chapter 90 applies, the plaintiff may also appear through a nonattorney who is an agent or employee of the plaintiff or an agent or employee of an agent of the plaintiff.
(5) Notwithstanding ORS 9.160 (Bar membership required to practice law), 9.320 (Necessity for employment of attorney) and ORS chapter 180, a state agency may appear in an action brought pursuant to ORS 105.110 (Action for forcible entry or wrongful detainer) through an officer or employee of the agency if:
(a) The Attorney General consents to the representation of the agency by an officer or employee in the particular action or in the class of actions that includes the particular action; and
(b) The agency, by rule, authorizes an officer or employee to appear on its behalf in the particular type of action being conducted.
(6) In addition to the fees charged under subsection (2) of this section, the clerk shall collect a surcharge from the plaintiff at the time a complaint is filed that is subject to the filing fees established by subsection (2) of this section and from a defendant at the time a defendant demands a trial in the action. The surcharge shall be deposited by the State Court Administrator into the State Treasury to the credit of the Housing and Community Services Department Low Income Rental Housing Fund established by ORS 458.350 (Low Income Rental Housing Fund established). The amount of the surcharge shall be $10.
(7) A document or pleading shall be filed by the clerk only if the fees and surcharges required under this section are paid by the person filing the document or pleading or if an application for a waiver or deferral of fees and court costs is granted by the court under ORS 21.680 (Definitions for ORS 21.680 to 21.698) to 21.698 (Confidentiality of information related to waiver or deferral). Fees and surcharges provided for in this section may not be refunded. [Amended by 1975 c.256 §10; 1977 c.877 §15; 1979 c.284 §94; 1981 c.753 §10; 1983 c.581 §1; 1985 c.588 §16; 1987 c.829 §5; 1991 c.92 §1; 1993 c.369 §17; 1995 c.273 §17; 1997 c.801 §34; 2003 c.737 §§47,48; 2005 c.702 §§53,54,55; 2007 c.493 §§8,18b; 2007 c.860 §8]
Note: Section 15 (16), chapter 860, Oregon Laws 2007, provides:
Sec. 15. (16)(a) In addition to the fees provided for in ORS 105.130 (How action conducted) (2), for the period commencing September 1, 2007, and ending June 30, 2009, upon filing a complaint in the case of a dwelling unit to which ORS chapter 90 applies, the clerk of the court shall collect a surcharge of $3.
(b) In addition to the fees provided for in ORS 105.130 (How action conducted) (3), for the period commencing September 1, 2007, and ending June 30, 2009, if the defendant demands a trial after a complaint is filed under ORS 105.130 (How action conducted) (2), the plaintiff shall pay a surcharge of $2. [2007 c.860 §15(16)]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.