Initiation of merger and consolidation
- • procedure when city included in merger or consolidation
(1) The electors of two or more districts may initiate proceedings to merge or consolidate districts by filing duplicate petitions with the boards of the districts to be merged or consolidated. The petitions shall state the names of the affected districts, and the name of the surviving or successor district and whether the merger or consolidation must be approved by each district. If the proposal may be approved by fewer than all affected districts and may be effective only as to the approving districts, the petition shall so specify.
(2) When proceedings have been initiated as provided in subsection (1), (3), (4) or (5) of this section, and the districts or district and city are subject to the jurisdiction of a local government boundary commission, the initiating documents shall be filed with the boundary commission as provided by ORS 199.476 (When petition for major boundary change required).
(3) If a proposed merger or consolidation initiated under subsection (1) of this section includes a proposal to join a city to the surviving or successor district, the electors of the districts and the city also shall file a duplicate petition with the governing body of the city. The signature requirements under ORS 198.755 (Number of signatures required) applicable to a district proposed to merge or consolidate are applicable to the city. A petition under this subsection shall contain all the matters required to be stated in the petition under subsection (1) of this section, except that the petition also shall state:
(a) The name of the city proposed to join the surviving or successor district; and
(b) Whether the merger or consolidation must be approved by each district or city in order to be effective.
(4) The electors of one district and a city may initiate proceedings to join the city to the district by filing duplicate petitions with the board of the district and the governing body of the city. The signature requirements under ORS 198.755 (Number of signatures required) (4) applicable to a district are applicable to the city. A petition under this subsection shall contain the name of the district, the name of the city and shall state that the proposal must be approved by the district and the city in order to be effective.
(5) Merger or consolidation also may be initiated by resolution adopted or approved by two or more district boards. If the merger or consolidation under this subsection includes a proposal to join a city to the surviving or successor district, the governing body of the city also must adopt or approve a resolution. A resolution adopted or approved under this subsection shall contain all the matters required to be stated in a petition to merge or to consolidate. [1971 c.727 §44; 1983 c.142 §6; 1983 c.336 §24; 1985 c.263 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.