Annexation of city to district
- • approval of annexation proposal
- • election
(1) The governing body of a city may adopt a resolution or motion to propose annexation to a district for the purpose of receiving service from the district. Upon adoption of an annexation proposal, the governing body of the city shall certify to the district board a copy of the proposal.
(2) The district board shall approve or disapprove the citys annexation proposal. If the district board approves the proposal, the district board shall adopt an order or resolution to call an election in the district unless otherwise provided in subsection (3) of this section.
(3) The district board is not required to call an election if:
(a) The population of the city is less than 20 percent of the population of the district; or
(b) The entire boundary of the city is encompassed within the boundary of the district.
(4) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, if 10 percent of the electors or 100 electors of the district, whichever is less, sign and present to the county board a petition requesting an election, the board shall call an election in the district. The petition shall be in conformity, to the greatest extent practicable, with ORS 198.750 (Content of petition proposing formation or change of organization), 198.760 (Requirements for signers of petition), 198.765 (Requirements for filing petition) and 198.770 (Method of determining validity of landowner signatures).
(5) The order or resolution of the district board shall include the applicable matters specified in ORS 198.745 (Content of resolution calling election). In addition the order or resolution may contain a plan for zoning or subdistricting the district as enlarged by the annexation if the principal Act for the district provides for election or representation by zone or subdistrict.
(6) The district board shall certify a copy of the resolution or order to the governing body of the city.
(7) Upon receipt of the resolution or order of the district board, the governing body of the city shall call an election in the city on the date specified in the order or resolution of the district board.
(8) An election under this section shall be held on a date specified in ORS 255.345 (Special election dates) that is not sooner than the 90th day after the date of the district order or resolution calling the election. [1983 c.142 §2 (enacted in lieu of 198.865); 1993 c.417 §1; 2003 c.219 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information