(1) Except as otherwise provided by ORS 198.705 (Definitions for ORS 198.705 to 198.955) to 198.955 (Disposition of assets), when notice is required or authorized to be published, posted or mailed, it shall be published, posted or mailed as provided by this section. When notice is required to be given and the duty of giving the notice is not specifically enjoined upon some officer, agency or person, the county clerk or the secretary of the district board, as the case may be, shall give notice or cause it to be given.
(2) Notice required to be published shall be published in one or more newspapers of general circulation within the affected district. If any newspaper is of general circulation in two or more affected districts, publication in one such newspaper is sufficient publication for all such affected districts. If no newspaper is of general circulation within the affected district, the publication shall be made in a newspaper of general circulation within the principal county. Published notice of a hearing shall be commenced at least 15 days prior to the date specified in the notice for the hearing, and the last publication shall be made at least five days prior to the hearing.
(3) Notice required to be posted shall be posted on or near the doors of the meeting room of the district board or of the county board, or upon any official public bulletin board customarily used for the purpose of posting public notices by or pertaining to the district or county. Posted notice shall be posted not less than five successive days. If posted notice is notice of a hearing, posting shall be commenced not less than 15 days prior to the date specified in the notice for the hearing.
(4) Mailed notice shall be sent first class and deposited, postage prepaid, in the United States mails and shall be considered to have been given when so deposited. If mailed notice is a notice of a hearing, mailing shall be made not more than 15 days nor less than five days prior to the date specified in the notice for the hearing.
(5) Notice authorized or required to be given by publication, posting or mailing shall contain all matters required by ORS 198.705 (Definitions for ORS 198.705 to 198.955) to 198.955 (Disposition of assets). If a petition, ordinance, resolution or order of a district board giving notice contains all matters required to be contained in the notice, the county clerk or district secretary may, and shall if required, cause a copy of such petition, ordinance, resolution or order to be published, posted or mailed, in which case no other notice need be given by the clerk or secretary. [1971 c.727 §8; 1983 c.350 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.