Oregon Ocean Science Trust
- • members
- • terms
- • compensation and expenses
- • rules
(1) The Oregon Ocean Science Trust is established, consisting of seven members appointed as follows:
(a) The President of the Senate shall appoint one member from among members of the Senate.
(b) The Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint one member from among members of the House of Representatives.
(c) The State Land Board shall appoint five members who:
(A) Are residents of this state who demonstrate a commitment and interest in the stewardship of Oregon’s ocean and coastal resources; and
(B) Have not less than five years’ experience in competitive granting, marine science, foundations or fiscal assurance.
(2) The term of office of each voting member appointed under subsection (1)(c) of this section is four years, but a member serves at the pleasure of the board. Before the expiration of the term of a member, the board shall appoint a successor whose term begins on January 1 next following. A member is eligible for reappointment. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the board shall make an appointment to become immediately effective for the unexpired term.
(3) A majority of the voting members of the trust constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(4) The trust shall select one of its voting members to be the executive director of the trust, for such terms and with the duties and powers that the trust determines are necessary for the performance of the office.
(5) The trust shall meet at least twice each year at a place, day and hour determined by the trust. The trust may also meet at other times and places specified by the call of the executive director or of a majority of the voting members of the trust.
(6) The trust may adopt any rules necessary to carry out the duties of the trust.
(7) Members of the trust who are not members of the Legislative Assembly are not entitled to compensation, but may be reimbursed for actual and necessary travel and other expenses incurred by them in the performance of their official duties in the manner and amounts provided for in ORS 292.495 (Compensation and expenses of members of state boards and commissions). Claims for expenses incurred in performing functions of the trust shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the Department of State Lands for purposes of administering the trust.
(8) Members of the Legislative Assembly appointed to the trust are nonvoting members of the trust and may act in an advisory capacity only.
(9) The Department of State Lands shall provide a facility and administrative support for the meetings of the trust as requested. Other agencies shall provide support as requested by the trust in order to provide the trust with assistance on the priority marine science needs of the state. [2013 c.776 §1; 2014 c.2 §1]
Note: 196.565 (Oregon Ocean Science Trust) to 196.569 (Report) were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 196 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.