State budget policy
- • confidentiality of certain information
(1) The Legislative Assembly finds that there is a need for a comprehensive, specific budget format available to all members of the Legislative Assembly so that:
(a) Effective policy decisions can be made;
(b) Line items in agency budgets can be identified by program function;
(c) Decisions to increase or decrease agency budgets can be made with knowledge as to policy and programmatic impact; and
(d) A more objective comparison can be made to the Governor’s budget.
(2) The Legislative Assembly also finds that the goal of the legislative budgeting process is to afford members a thorough understanding of:
(a) The policies of state government regarding the definition and delivery of state services;
(b) What program functions are necessary to state operations and the cost of these functions; and
(c) The means whereby these policies and programs are administered.
(3) The goal of the Legislative Assembly is to decide, as a body, which policies and programs are necessary to discharge its public responsibilities. Consequently, the Legislative Assembly finds that there is a need to examine the legislative budgeting process so that:
(a) Policy decisions are made by the Legislative Assembly as a whole;
(b) Program functions are more closely identified with line items in agency budgets;
(c) Funding options and priorities are defined in terms of policies; and
(d) Legislative budgeting identifies programs which are necessary in terms of policies and state responsibilities, as opposed to the need to maintain existing program activities.
(4) The Legislative Fiscal Officer may provide information related to the preparation and adoption of the legislatively adopted budget, or to measures considered by the Joint Committee on Ways and Means during any session of the Legislative Assembly, to the Oregon Department of Administrative Services. Staff of the Oregon Department of Administrative Services may not reveal to any other person the contents or nature of the information provided under this subsection, except with the written consent of the Legislative Fiscal Officer. [1989 c.652 §1; 2016 c.117 §37]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.