Presession filing of proposed measures
- • printing and distribution
(1) At any time in advance of any regular or special session of the Legislative Assembly fixed by the Legislative Counsel Committee, or at any time in advance of a special session as may be fixed by joint rules of both houses of the Legislative Assembly, the following may file a proposed legislative measure with the Legislative Counsel:
(a) Members who will serve in the session and members-elect.
(b) Interim and statutory committees of the Legislative Assembly.
(2) On or before December 15 of an even-numbered year, or at any time in advance of a special session as may be fixed by joint rules of both houses of the Legislative Assembly, the following may file a proposed legislative measure with the Legislative Counsel:
(a) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services, to implement the fiscal recommendations of the Governor contained in the Governors budget.
(b) The person who will serve as Governor during the session.
(c) The Secretary of State, the State Treasurer, the Attorney General and the Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries.
(d) The Judicial Department.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2) of this section, a statewide elected official who initially assumes office in January of an odd-numbered year may submit proposed measures for introduction by members or committees of the Legislative Assembly until the calendar day designated by rules of either house of the Legislative Assembly. The exemption granted by this subsection to a newly elected Governor does not apply to state agencies in the executive branch.
(4) On or before December 15 of an even-numbered year, a state agency may file a proposed legislative measure with the Legislative Counsel through a member or committee of the Legislative Assembly.
(5) The Legislative Counsel shall order each measure filed pursuant to subsections (1) to (4) of this section prepared for printing and may order the measure printed. If the person filing a measure specifically requests in writing that the measure be made available for distribution, the Legislative Counsel shall order the measure printed and shall make copies of the printed measure available for distribution before the beginning of the session to members and members-elect and to others upon request.
(6) Copies of all measures filed and prepared for printing or printed pursuant to this section shall be forwarded by the Legislative Counsel to the chief clerk of the house designated by the person filing the measure for introduction.
(7) The costs of carrying out this section shall be paid out of the money appropriated for the expenses of that session of the Legislative Assembly for which the measure is to be printed.
(8) The Legislative Counsel Committee may adopt rules or policies to accomplish the purpose of this section.
(9) This section does not affect any law or any rule of the Legislative Assembly or either house thereof relating to the introduction of legislative measures. [1961 c.167 §17; 1969 c.374 §1; 1971 c.638 §1; 1981 c.517 §15; 1999 c.1074 §1; 2001 c.45 §1; 2011 c.545 §1; 2011 c.731 §4; 2016 c.117 §38]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information