Construction, maintenance and use of local correctional facilities by county and city
- • renting suitable structure
- • provision of facilities by another county or city
(1) Every county and city in this state shall provide, keep and maintain within or without the county or city, as the case may be, a local correctional facility for the reception and confinement of prisoners committed thereto. The local correctional facility shall be constructed of fireproof materials and should have fire exits in sufficient number and suitably located for the removal of prisoners.
(2) Any county, or incorporated city may rent or lease any structure answering the requirements of subsection (1) of this section, either in connection with or separately from any other county or city building.
(3) Any county and any incorporated city may, by agreement, provide, maintain, and use for their separate requirements, such a local correctional facility as is required by this section.
(4) Any county or incorporated city may, by agreement with any other county or incorporated city, provide for one such county or city to furnish local correctional facility accommodations for the imprisonment of prisoners of the other such county or city. Pursuant to such agreement, an Oregon county or city may secure the use of jail accommodations outside the state, but only in a county that adjoins the Oregon county or the county in which the Oregon city is located.
(5) The jail accommodations provided by or furnished to a county under this section shall be considered to be jail accommodations of the county for purposes of ORS 135.215 (Direction to sheriff), 137.167 (Imprisonment when county jail is not suitable for safe confinement) and 137.330 (Where judgment of imprisonment in county jail is executed). [Amended by 1963 c.236 §2; 1973 c.740 §10; 1987 c.550 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information