ORS 167.345¹
Authority to enter premises or motor vehicle
  • search warrant
  • notice of impoundment of animal
  • damage resulting from entry

(1) As used in this section, “peace officer” has the meaning given that term in ORS 161.015 (General definitions).

(2) If there is probable cause to believe that any animal is being subjected to treatment in violation of ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal), 167.340 (Animal abandonment), 167.355 (Involvement in animal fighting), 167.365 (Dogfighting) or 167.428 (Cockfighting), a peace officer, after obtaining a search warrant or in any other manner authorized by law, may enter the premises or motor vehicle where the animal is located to provide the animal with food, water and emergency medical treatment and may impound the animal. If after reasonable effort the owner or person having custody of the animal cannot be found and notified of the impoundment, the notice shall be conspicuously posted on the premises or motor vehicle and within 72 hours after the impoundment the notice shall be sent by certified mail to the address, if any, where the animal was impounded.

(3) A peace officer is not liable for any damages for an entry under subsection (2) of this section, unless the damages were caused by the unnecessary actions of the peace officer that were intentional or reckless.

(4)(a) A court may order an animal impounded under subsection (2) of this section to be held at any animal care facility in the state. A facility receiving the animal shall provide adequate food and water and may provide veterinary care.

(b) A court may order a fighting bird impounded under subsection (2) of this section to be held on the property of the owner, possessor or keeper of the fighting bird in accordance with ORS 167.433 (Seizure of fighting birds or source birds). [Formerly 167.860; 1993 c.519 §1; 1995 c.663 §5; 2001 c.926 §12; 2009 c.550 §1; 2015 c.177 §1]

(formerly 167.860)

Notes of Decisions

This sec­tion and [former] ORS 167.850 are related in the nature of es­tab­lishing different de­grees of the same crime and are constitu­tional. Oregon Game Fowl Breeders v. Smith, 15 Or App 487, 516 P2d 499 (1973), Sup Ct review denied

Chapter 167

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Exemp­tion of nuisance laws from constitu­tional require­ment for pay­ments based on govern­ment regula­tions restricting use of prop­erty, (2001) Vol 49, p 284

Law Review Cita­tions

51 OLR 427-637 (1972)

1 Legislative Counsel Committee, CHAPTER 167—Offenses Against General Welfare and Animals, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ors167.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
2 Legislative Counsel Committee, Annotations to the Oregon Revised Stat­utes, Cumulative Supplement - 2019, Chapter 167, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ano167.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information