Medical-legal death investigators
(1) The district medical examiner shall appoint, subject to the approval of the district attorney and applicable civil service regulations, qualified medical-legal death investigators, including the sheriff or a deputy sheriff and a member of the Oregon State Police for each county. Other peace officers may also be appointed as medical-legal death investigators.
(2) The district medical examiner and the district attorney shall establish qualifications for medical-legal death investigators.
(3) Each medical-legal death investigator shall be individually appointed and the name of the medical-legal death investigator shall be on file in the office of the district medical examiner.
(4) A medical-legal death investigator shall investigate deaths subject to the control and direction of the district medical examiner or the district attorney.
(5) A medical-legal death investigator may authorize the removal of the body of a deceased person from the apparent place of death.
(6) The medical-legal death investigator may not authorize embalming, order a post-mortem examination or autopsy, or certify the cause and manner of death. [1973 c.408 §11; 2017 c.151 §11]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information