Amendments to sentencing guidelines
- • submitting to Legislative Assembly
- • rules
(1) The Oregon Criminal Justice Commission shall review all new legislation that creates new crimes or modifies existing crimes. The commission shall adopt by rule any necessary modifications to the crime seriousness scale of the guidelines to reflect the actions of the Legislative Assembly and may classify offenses as person felonies or person misdemeanors for purposes of the rules.
(2) The commission may adopt by majority vote of all of its members who are eligible to vote amendments to the sentencing guidelines approved by section 87, chapter 790, Oregon Laws 1989. The commission shall submit the amendments to the Legislative Assembly for its approval. The amendments do not become effective unless approved by the Legislative Assembly by law. The effective date of the amendments is the date specified by the Legislative Assembly in the law approving the amendments or, if the Legislative Assembly does not specify a date, the effective date of the law approving the amendments. The Legislative Assembly may by law amend, repeal or supplement any of the amendments.
(3) The provisions of subsection (2) of this section do not apply to amendments to the guidelines adopted by the commission that:
(a) Are required to implement enactments of the Legislative Assembly;
(b) Are required under ORS 421.512 (Rulemaking) (2) or subsection (1) of this section; or
(c)(A) Renumber rules or parts of rules, change internal references to agree with statute or rule numbers, delete references to repealed statutes or rules, substitute statute references for chapter numbers, change capitalization and spelling for the purpose of uniformity or correct manifest clerical, grammatical or typographical errors; and
(B) Do not alter the sense, meaning, effect or substance of the rule amended.
(4) If a rule adopted under subsection (1) of this section is not approved by the next regular Legislative Assembly following the adoption of the rule, the rule is repealed on January 1 following adjournment sine die of that Legislative Assembly. [1989 c.790 §94a; 1993 c.681 §6; 1993 c.692 §7; 1995 c.420 §6; 1997 c.691 §3; 1999 c.966 §2; 2003 c.453 §4]
Note: See note under 137.651 (Definitions for ORS 137.654, 137.656 and 137.658).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.