Arrest of persons for cruelty to animals
- • immunity of peace officer providing care for animal
(1) Any person violating ORS 167.315 (Animal abuse in the second degree) to 167.333 (Sexual assault of an animal), 167.340 (Animal abandonment), 167.355 (Involvement in animal fighting), 167.365 (Dogfighting) or 167.428 (Cockfighting) may be arrested and held without warrant, in the same manner as in the case of persons found breaking the peace.
(2) The person making the arrest, with or without warrant, shall use reasonable diligence to give notice thereof to the owners of the animals found in the charge of the person arrested, and shall properly care and provide for such animals until the owners or their duly authorized agents take charge of them; provided, such owners or agents shall claim and take charge of the animals within 60 days from the date of said notice.
(3) The person making such arrest shall have a lien upon the animals for the expense of such care and provisions.
(4) Any peace officer who cares or provides for an animal pursuant to this section and any person into whose care an animal is delivered by a peace officer acting under this section shall be immune from civil or criminal liability based upon an allegation that such care was negligently provided. [Formerly 770.230; 1983 c.648 §2; 1985 c.662 §12; 2001 c.926 §16; 2009 c.550 §4]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.