UPIA 401. Character of receipts
(1) In this section, entity means a corporation, partnership, limited liability company, regulated investment company, real estate investment trust, common trust fund or any other organization in which a trustee has an interest other than a trust or estate to which ORS 129.305 (UPIA 402. Distribution from trust or estate) applies, a business or activity to which ORS 129.308 (UPIA 403. Business and other activities conducted by trustee) applies or an asset-backed security to which ORS 129.385 (UPIA 415. Asset-backed securities) applies.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a trustee shall allocate to income money received from an entity.
(3) A trustee shall allocate the following receipts from an entity to principal:
(a) Property other than money;
(b) Money received in one distribution or a series of related distributions in exchange for part or all of a trusts interest in the entity;
(c) Money received in total or partial liquidation of the entity; and
(d) Money received from an entity that is a regulated investment company or a real estate investment trust if the money distributed is a capital gain dividend for federal income tax purposes.
(4) Money is received in partial liquidation:
(a) To the extent that the entity, at or near the time of a distribution, indicates that it is a distribution in partial liquidation; or
(b) If the total amount of money and property distributed by an entity in a distribution or series of related distributions is greater than 20 percent of the entitys gross assets, as shown by the entitys year-end financial statements immediately preceding the initial distribution.
(5) Money is not received in partial liquidation, nor may it be taken into account under subsection (4)(b) of this section, to the extent that it does not exceed the amount of income tax that a trustee or beneficiary must pay on taxable income of the entity that distributes the money.
(6) A trustee may rely upon a statement made by an entity about the source or character of a distribution if the statement is made at or near the time of distribution by the entitys board of directors or other person or group of persons authorized to exercise powers to pay money or transfer property comparable to those of a corporations board of directors. [2003 c.279 §10; 2007 c.130 §1]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.