Transfer of decedents property to affiant
- • proceedings to compel transfer
(1) Not sooner than 10 days after the filing of an affidavit under ORS 114.515 (Value of estate), the affiant may deliver a certified copy of the affidavit to any person who was indebted to the decedent or who has possession of personal property belonging to the estate. Except as provided in this section, upon receipt of the copy, the person shall pay, transfer, deliver, provide access to and allow possession of the personal property to the affiant.
(2) Subject to ORS 114.537 (Safe deposit boxes), if a copy of an affidavit is delivered under subsection (1) of this section to a person that controls access to personal property belonging to the estate of the decedent, including personal property held in a safe deposit box for which the decedent was the sole lessee or the last surviving lessee, the person shall:
(a) Provide the affiant with access to the decedents personal property; and
(b) Allow the affiant to take possession of the personal property.
(3) Subject to ORS 114.537 (Safe deposit boxes), if a copy of an affidavit is delivered under subsection (1) of this section to a person who has received property of the decedent under ORS 446.616 (Transfer of interest in manufactured structure), 708A.430 (Disposition of deposit on death of depositor), 723.466 (Disposition of deposit on death of depositor) or 803.094 (Release or assignment of title interest), or a similar statute providing for the transfer of property of an estate that is not being probated, the person shall pay, transfer, deliver, provide access to or allow possession of the property to the affiant if the person would be required to pay, transfer, deliver, provide access to or allow possession of the property to a personal representative of the estate.
(4) Any person that pays, transfers, delivers, provides access to or allows possession of property of a decedent in the manner provided by this section is discharged and released from any liability or responsibility for the property in the same manner and with the same effect as if the property had been transferred, delivered or paid to a personal representative of the estate of the decedent.
(5) A transfer agent of any corporate security registered in the name of the decedent shall change the registered ownership on the books of the corporation to the person entitled thereto on presentation of a certified copy of the affidavit filed under ORS 114.515 (Value of estate).
(6) If a person to whom an affidavit is delivered refuses to pay, deliver, transfer, provide access to or allow possession of any personal property as required by this section, the property may be recovered or payment, delivery, transfer of or access to the property may be compelled upon proof of the transferees entitlement in a proceeding brought for the purpose by or on behalf of the transferee.
(7) If the affidavit was signed by the Director of Human Services, the Director of the Oregon Health Authority or an attorney approved under ORS 114.517 (Approval of attorneys filing affidavits for recipients of Medicaid or other public assistance), the Director of Human Services, the Director of the Oregon Health Authority or the attorney may certify a copy of the affidavit for the purposes described in this section. [1973 c.710 §4; 1979 c.340 §3; 1989 c.228 §4; 1991 c.67 §23; 1997 c.631 §404; 2003 c.196 §2; 2003 c.655 §60; 2009 c.541 §4; 2009 c.595 §80; 2009 c.828 §11; 2011 c.422 §3]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.