ORS 107.437¹
Order of assistance to obtain custody of child held in violation of custody order

(1) A person entitled to physical custody of a child may make an ex parte application for an order of assistance to a court of any county:

(a) In which a child is located if the person is entitled to the physical custody of the child under a valid and current order issued in this state; or

(b) In which a valid and current foreign custody order has been filed with a petition as provided in subsection (3) of this section.

(2) The application must include a certified copy of the custody order. The order of assistance may direct a law enforcement agency having jurisdiction where the child is located to use any reasonable means and force to deliver the child as directed by the court, including directing forcible entry into specified premises. The court may issue an order of assistance upon an affidavit or a declaration under penalty of perjury in the form required by ORCP 1 E, executed by the applicant and a finding of the court that:

(a) The applicant is entitled to physical custody of the child under a valid and current custody order; and

(b) The child is being held by another person in substantial violation of the custody order.

(3) When the application for an order of assistance is made to a court in which the custody order has been entered or registered, the applicant shall make the application in the form of a motion. In all other cases, the applicant shall make the application in the form of a petition. The court may not charge a filing fee for a motion or petition filed under this section.

(4) The law enforcement agency to which an order of assistance is directed shall make a return to the court specifying whether the order was executed, and if so, a statement reflecting the date on which the order was executed and any other information required by the court in the order of assistance.

(5) A court may not issue an order of assistance for the purpose of enforcing parenting time or visitation rights.

(6) Except for intentional torts committed outside the scope of the peace officer’s duties, a peace officer is not civilly or criminally liable for any action taken in recovering the custody of a child pursuant to an order issued under this section. [1997 c.529 §1; 1999 c.59 §20; 1999 c.1081 §6; 2007 c.255 §5; 2015 c.121 §8]

Chapter 107

Notes of Decisions

Trial court has authority to es­tab­lish liquidated sum as amount owed by spouse under settle­ment agree­ment. Horner and Horner, 119 Or App 112, 849 P2d 560 (1993)

Atty. Gen. Opinions

Emergency or necessity as the only grounds for waiver of 90-day period, (1971) Vol 35, p 982

Law Review Cita­tions

55 OLR 267-277 (1976); 27 WLR 51 (1991)

1 Legislative Counsel Committee, CHAPTER 107—Marital Dissolution, Annulment and Separation; Mediation and Conciliation Services; Family Abuse Prevention, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ors107.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
2 Legislative Counsel Committee, Annotations to the Oregon Revised Stat­utes, Cumulative Supplement - 2019, Chapter 107, https://­www.­oregonlegislature.­gov/­bills_laws/­ors/­ano107.­html (2019) (last ac­cessed May 16, 2020).
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information