Procedure for dividing or converting units
(1) Subject to the provisions of the declaration and any applicable law, and upon compliance with this section:
(a) A unit designated in the declaration to be used for commercial, industrial or other nonresidential purpose may be divided by an owner, including the declarant, into two or more units.
(b) A unit owned by the declarant and located in a condominium that consists exclusively of units designated in the declaration to be used for nonresidential purposes, may be divided or converted into two or more units, common elements or a combination of units and common elements.
(2) The owner of a unit to be divided or converted shall submit to the board of directors of the association of unit owners a proposed amendment that must:
(a) State the purposes of the amendment;
(b) Assign an identifying number to each unit created;
(c) Reallocate the interest in the common elements and the use of any limited common elements, voting rights, common expense liability and the right to common profits in the manner prescribed in the declaration;
(d) Indicate the means of access for each unit to common elements; and
(e) Include any additional provisions necessary to conform any other provisions of the declaration or bylaws.
(3) The board of directors shall approve the proposed amendment unless the board determines within 45 days that the amendment is inconsistent with the declaration or bylaws, or the division or conversion will impair the structural integrity or mechanical systems of the condominium or lessen the support of any portion of the condominium.
(4) The board of directors may require the owner of the unit to be divided or converted to submit an opinion of a registered professional engineer as to whether or not the proposed division or conversion will impair the structural integrity or mechanical systems of the condominium or weaken the support of any portion of the condominium. The board of directors or any agent appointed by the board of directors may supervise the work necessary to effect the division or conversion. Any expenses incurred under this section must be charged to the owner of the unit requesting the division or conversion.
(5) The amendment must be executed by the owner and mortgagees or trust deed beneficiaries of the affected unit, certified by the association and approved and recorded in accordance with ORS 100.135 (Amendments to declaration) (2)(b).
(6) A plat showing each unit created or the conversion of a unit to common elements or combination thereof must be recorded in accordance with ORS 100.115 (Recording declaration and plat).
(7) This section applies only if the declaration expressly permits and contains:
(a) A statement of the maximum number of units into which a unit may be divided under subsection (1) of this section;
(b) A general description of the nature and proposed use of any unit or portion of any unit which the declarant may convert to common elements; and
(c) A statement of the method to be used to reallocate interest in the common elements, the use of any limited common elements, voting rights, common expense liability and right to common profits. [Formerly 94.322; 2003 c.569 §39; 2019 c.69 §45]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent. Currency Information