Proceedings to be in English
- • foreign language translation
- • rules and procedures
(1) Except as provided in this section, every writing in any action, suit or proceeding in a court of justice of this state, or before a judicial officer, shall be in English.
(2) A writing in an action, suit or proceeding in a court of justice of this state, or before a judicial officer, may be submitted in English and accompanied by a translation into a foreign language that is certified by the translator to be an accurate and true translation of the English writing. If the writing requires a signature, either the English or the foreign language writing may be signed.
(3) If a writing is submitted in English and accompanied by a translation under subsection (2) of this section, a copy of the writing and the translation must be provided to the other parties in the proceeding in the manner provided by the statutes and rules relating to service, notice and discovery of writings in civil and criminal proceedings in courts of justice of this state and before judicial officers.
(4) The State Court Administrator may establish policies and procedures governing the implementation of subsection (2) of this section.
(5) Subsection (1) of this section does not prohibit the use of common abbreviations. [Amended by 1995 c.273 §1; 2003 c.14 §2]
3 OregonLaws.org assembles these lists by analyzing references between Sections. Each listed item refers back to the current Section in its own text. The result reveals relationships in the code that may not have otherwise been apparent.